Lloyds account upgrade mis selling?

avocados
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4333 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My partner banked with lloyds and upgraded her account to gold to pay the monthly fee for travel insurance, mobile phone insurance, etc.

Around 2 years ago we opened a joint account with them and then upgraded the account online to silver as we felt this was sufficient for us both, we tried to cancel the upgrade for my partners single account online as we were now both covered by the joint account so it was no longer required. It would not let her do this and told her to contact her local branch.

My partner paid a visit to the local lloyds tsb to cancel the account but they told her it's best to keep it open and sold her a load of speil to keep it as an upgraded gold account. She told them that silver was enough to cover us both and told them she does not need it, again they tried to talk her out of it but she says she was convinced that it had been cancelled

2 years later we reviewed our outgoings on where we could save money and realised she was still paying a monthly fee for her single account even though she is covered by the joint account anyway! She arranged an appointment with the local lloyds and cancelled it, again having to keep rejecting lloyds sales tactics to keep it open - I think the main one that they were using was that she would lose the free overdraft facility, the overdraft they have allowed her is only £50! so for £13 a month just for an overdraft is more than if she did not have the upgraded account and had to pay interest on the £50. She told them no and now it is definitely cancelled

So she has been paying two fees to cover the same things with the same company for almost two years after she had tried to cancel. Is this mis selling? Can we get the money back for the single account for the period of the joint account being open?

Edited by avocados

I don't suppose any of the cancellation business was done in writing was it?

My view would first off to write to the bank and tell them the story and ask them for a refund of the "double payment".

If they don't do anything then I would raise a formal complaint with the bank's head office.

This may just be a mistake and so give them a chance to put it right.

No. She tried to do online but it would not let her and told her to go to her branch. She did this and sat through them trying to convince her to keep it open even though it was not required as we were now covered by the joint account, she told them she did not want it and thought that was that = cancelled.