Car Hirte abroad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For those of you that hire cars abroad take note of this warning. I usually use someone like Holiday Auto's, Car Rentals, CarJet or similar and book the car on the internet before I go. I usually take the top up insurance offer as it is cheaper than purchasing it from the hire company when you collect the car, this is currently 7 Euros per day in Majorca so a week Sat to Sat e.g. 8 days x 7 = 56 Euros. I booked a car via Carjet from Click and Rent and paid for CarJet's Gold Top up insurance @ 35.22 Euros saving 28.78 Euros. Picked the car up at Palma airport OK no problems staff layed back as usual gave authorisation for 450 Euro deposit because I had not taken out their insurance. I have done this many times in the past and when you return the car OK they cancel authorisation. Couldn't get this done when I returned the car but was assured that it would be done on Monday. Checked Credit card online an found that they had charged the 450 Euros = £366.41 after exchange and charges to my account and after a phone call on Tuesday the deposit 450 Euros was returned to my account, but it was now £340.01 after exchange and charges so I am £26.40 ( 31.68 Euros at 1.20 to the £ )out of pocket, so I haven't saved 28.78 Euros but it has cost me 2.90 Euros extra not a great deal but its the principle. If I had purchased the Car rental companies Top up Insurance I would have saved the 2.90 Euros and more importantly the hassle of getting the refund as I would then not have had to pay the 450 Euro deposit in the first place. This is the first time that I have had this problem as usually they do not take the deposit from your account unless you return the car damaged in some way or owe them for petrol if you have a full/full deal and haven't filled the tank. The money was taken from my account straight away when I collected the car. This problem would also happen if you use a debit card. Moral of this story is if this practise is widespread don't take out the insurance until you collect the car. I have been in touch with Click & Rent who couldn't care less, I have contacted CarJet and await their response.

If you travel often get an annual policy covering you for any car hire excesses. They start at about £70 but normally have high cash back rates.

Bang, that would make no difference if you do not take out the excess insurance with the car hire company they will want a deposit equal to the car excess.