Urgent Help with bankruptcy petition

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest gc0123456

My local council has served a bankruptcy petition against me for a business rate debt of a limited company i used to run, which has since been wound up by companies house for not filling annual return. How do I defend against this. I f they are successful I will loose my job, home and everthing

Hello there.

Was the council tax liability in the business name or in your name personally?

Once you've answered this question we will be able to assist you get this sorted.

Best wishes,

Seq.

Guest gc0123456

It was in the business name although the council have got a liability order and issued statutory demand in my own name

How long ago was the statutory demand issued, did you try and oppose it at the time?

Also, did you challenge the liability order at all?

When was the petition presented to you? How was it presented? Do you have equity in your home?

Sorry for all the questions, we're keen for a clear picture so that we can best help you.

Guest gc0123456

Thanks for the help

The statutory demand was issued a few months ago at which time I wrote to the solicitors who issued it saying the debt was related to a ltd company and not me. I didnt go to the courts a get it stopped as I thought common sense would prevail.

The petition was sent in the post by substituted service. I first found out about the pending pettion by the land registry. then few days latter a letter was posted through my letterbox saying they had attempted to issue me with petition and would return on a another named date. I rang the number and left a message saying I would not be in that date due to work but would be avaialable on another named date. Which I spend all day in doors waiting.

The house is in negative equity

If I go bankrupt I automatically loose my job as the contract becomes void

Guest gc0123456

With regard to the liability order, i dindt challenge it as i didnt know it existed

I think you should see a solicitor and get some advice, my first thought is that as the company is no longer trading AND they are attempting to make you personally bankrupt then it seems to be an abuse of process, whatever you do though unless you oppose / defend it then it will go through, a judge will not defend it for you.....