Dental fine / costs, please help

katrina123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, popped into local NHS dentist to ask if i could get treated / check up and if it would cost me, they said it would

be for free as i was on ESA, so they asked for proof, i took esa proof, they signed me up, then i had some treatment, over 2 visits, at no charge.

Few weeks later recieved letter from nhs, routine check unable, so please send proof of esa and fill in questionnaire.

totally forgot about this, was going to go to dentist to sort it out. then i get another letter from nhs, ie pentalty charge notice and fine, totalling a sum of over £300! if dont pay, debt recovery, county court, more charges.

So i go to my dentist with my paperwork, they say if im on esa its fine, there should be no costs and thats its between me and the nhs as dentist did not charge me, so i need to proov to them now. So im now so stressed and already got mental health problems and awaiting urgent psychiatrist help and on some strong medication...i dont how to deal with this.

I cant afford this cost, i only went to dentist as they said it was free to me.

looking at my esa paperwork and nhs letters, i think it might be to do with income based esa or contribution based.

around the same time of dental treatment i was switched from one to another, i believe from contribution to income, but the switch over date was just after dental treatment, but surely the dentist would have checked this? i took some ESA paperwork with me to dentist and they inspected it and gave me the go ahead for free treatment.

the dentist has assured me, all esa claiments do not have to pay, twice now.

do i need to go to cab?

debt advisor?

i dont know how to deal with this. i simply can not afford this Fee, i am in debt and cant even afford rent and food, im overdrawn, and on esa, unfit to work, no savings.

can anyone advise please? thankyou

if you're on contribution based only, it's not free. It's free on income based. Regardless of whether you receive the full amount of income based for your situation, or a few pounds a week.

Sort of true. It is then dependent on income rather than the benefit as you can apply for certain forms that wave or reduce costs.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1125.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

Would you have qualified under the schemes?

Now how long ago was this treatment?

Plus are you sure that you were on solely Contribution based as you can actually be on both types at the same time.

There's also rules on refunds which is why I've asked how long.

Sorry I'm tired atm so somebody would need to check up the exact rules and times etc once you figured out the above.

I'm going to report this thread to the site team for direction as although you are on benefits this is a mixed one whilst the above is important once that's determined this then becomes a debt issue.

They're pretty handy with this sort of thing.

There should be no enforcement action like debt collectors because you will be classed as vulnerable.

The other thing here is the penalty fine and also have you ever received an actual bill? Look about your paper work and double check.

I seem to remember reading an email at work wher they now conduct 100% checks on people who claim free prescriptions and state they are in receipt of income based/related benefits.

If you don't suuply the proof that you are in receipt of the correct rate of benefit then the person may incur a penalty.

Have you tried contacting the department that issued the penalty notice? You may be entitled to request a reconsideration of the decision and provide the relevant proof to show that you were entitled to the free treatment.

I think the problem may be that you were not on income based at the time you had the treatment but were later but I would suggest that the Dentist saw the information you provided so probably shares responsibility as should have understood and read the letter properly and told you that you were not covered....I am not sure if it counts that you sound as if you could have claimed income AND contribution based simultaneously as it does not raise income but gives you the additional benefits and was not subject to time limit.

Thankyou all.

Cab are helping me, CAB contacted NHS, and it was suggested by NHS that I appeal this charge/fine, by getting a letter to support my case from my GP, stating im not well, with mental health difficulties and so therefore was unable to determine the diff between the diff types of ESA and what dental fees were relevant in my case when dealing with dentist,

dentist still seems to think i shouldnt have to pay,

so im going to send various esa paperwork /letters to NHS, explain the situation, proove my illnesses/treatments,

along with doctors letter. send it all off to NHS, see if they can reconsider.

just wondering, what do i need to tell doctor to write exactly? situations like this, i thikn the wording is important,

just want to make sure my gp writes a suitable letter in my favour. I think this letter will cost me too, GP charges for stuff

like this i believe.

no mention of low income scheme or refund avaible to me.

thanks.