Deb collector letters not addressed to me.

Matb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys.

Long story short,

I have lived i a rented house for three and a half years.

Since I moved in letters have been coming for the previous tenants so I know their names as such, and sent a few back.

One company, Npower, wrote back to em as the occupier asking if I knew where they had gone because they owe money so I know they owe debts too.

For a while nothing came my way until about 2 years ago when the first collection agency wrote to the previous tenant. I sent it all back, of course, but more kept coming.

I found their website, a company called Bryan Carter Solicitors, and phoned them to explain it. They accepted it and stopped sending letters and said they would inform their client, MBNA.

About 3-4 month after this I got another letter from another collection agency addressed to the same person.

I found out who they were and called them to explain it again, they accepted it and letters stopped.

Then another from another agency, and another from another after that, both about 3-4 month after dealing with the last.

I suspect these are all working for the same client, likely MBNA, for them to be coming one after another like this.

I now have one sitting here from Rockwell DCA, who will be hearing from me soon.

I also give the letters to my letting agent since the second collection agency sent letters here and they too contact them to confirm who I am not etc.

But I am getting sick of dealing with this as well as having the impending threat of bailifs waking me up early one morning seeking to recover the debts for someone not living here any more.

Is there anything else I can do?

Like I said, I suspect this is the same client, MBNA maybe, but I don't want to open any of this mail myself since it is not mine.

Can I request confirmation of this from the collection agents?

Should they be making sure the client knows the situation or do they just drop things like this silent and let the client go onto the next agency and try again?

I have contemplated getting my lawyer to file a cease and desist letter against the client if it is the same one and see if that helps but if there is another way of getting this sorted I would like to know what my options are.

Thanks in advance.

your best bet is to ignore

and send all letters back unopened

return to sender, gone away.

cartainly stop rnging these peope

the debt will be on a phishing list

and certainly will not be fwded on

with any bad news [debtor gone away]

when the next lot buy it from the previous lot.

not su re of any other route

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

all i would do is put them back in post box return to sender not known at this address if you done that with every letter they would soon get the message

and it will cost them!!

there will be no bailiffs as debt not yours if they do turn up nothing they could do as you could provide proof

debt collectors have less right to enter your property than next doors cat

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will just stick to sending them back, then. I am not too sure how the debt collection industry works behind the scenes because I never take credit, finance or other forms of debt anyway, and I rent my house so no mortgage etc. So it has been getting me worried for a while, now. This has eased my mind knowing there is a list out there they are simply using to try and recover debt on a freelance basis or something.

I do know my rights with bailifs though so it is not that I worry they will take any of my property. I know they have to be allowed in to do this and I would not let them in and just show them my passport and council tax bill for this year at the door and send them away.

Thanks again.

With these types of letters it seems to be a computer is automated to belt them out every now and again. I guess I must have probably nearing a hundred from flats I rent between lets, however, they are never carded by any doorstepper other than Sheriff's Officers for the council tax.

I had the same problem and made a complaint, from which I received compensation for the hassle.

The complaint I made, was with the current owner of the debt, who had been passing the debt on in the full knowledge the person did not live there. You would need to open the letters to know this. Then send a letter to the compliance manager of that company, asking why they are continuing to arrange for debt collection activity to an address, where they know the debtor does not reside. In the end they noted the credit record of the debtor as 'gone away' and I never received any further contact at my address.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread