Old CCJ'S

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello and Welcome, curiousdavid.

I've moved this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

A CCJ doesn't become SB, but unless they enforce it within six years they will have to apply to a court for permission to do so however;

Section 24 of the Limitations Act 1980....

(1) An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

(2) No arrears of interest in respect of any judgment debt shall be recovered after the expiration of six years from the date on which the interest became due.

For this reason alone, cc judges would not normally allow enforcement.

if they dont show on your cra file

[see below]

ignore them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for all your responses, they are all very much appreciated.

I am not sure if Ruthbridge have brought an old debt or just working for an old creditor.

I will start at the begining if I may,

the mid eighties were very good to me I expect like a lot of other people in the Maggie Thatcher boom years!

Unfortunately the start of the nineties recession struck ,companies were going under at a rapid rate of knots up and down the country!

My credit rating was very good during the eighties and financial institutions were bending over backwards to lend money,

when the recession bit I found myself without work (I was self employed at the time) and with no income could not afford to pay either credit cards or my mortgage.

I did try to negotiate with my creditors but it was very difficult to maintain agreed payments when my income for a long period was very sporadic.

I posted the keys to my mortgage holder as a could not cope with the repayments after remortgaging

moved into rented accomodation and basically move on with my life trying to remain under the radar of credit companies of which there are several who have contacted me:

Global Debt Recovery, McKenzie and now Ruthbridge.

I have been in steady employment in recent years, have a mortgage and keep in credit.

I cannot stretch to payments for old debts and to be honest I am not sure what to do about them now,

I have also been married for fourteen years and in that time never defaulted on any loan or creditcard payment.

Please any advice on resolving this situation would be most welcome.

Edited by curiousdavid

At the end of the day these debts are so old it doesn't matter whether there are CCJs or not they are unenforceable.

It is not unusual for debt collectors to buy a portfolio of thousands of debts many like these. They pay around 7% of their face value & then try their luck in the hope that the people they target are unaware of the law & their rights and make payments.

As it stands now your best bet would be to send them this; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?428-General-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt and see how they respond. The onus is on them to prove a debt exists, they have a right to collect and that it is legally enforceable.

It will be interesting to see what they produce. ;)

gone dead buried forget them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A big thank you for the responses and advice, it has eased my conceerns.

I have received two letters so far from Ruthbridge so will wait and see what happens if anything before I decide what to do next.

Your support is very comforting, thank you one and all.