Help!! Business Rates Rebate Cheque cashed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I overpaid my business rates by about £400 in January & needed to travel abroad for a few months. In January I was told that I should apply for a rebate upon my return and a cheque would be issued to me.

I returned in May & applied for a rebate. 2 weeks later I get an email from the council saying they can't give me a rebate, because a cheque had been issued and cashed already.

I was out of the country & at no point received a cheque. I'm not sure what to do. The council say they can't be of any more help and are considering the matter closed. Surely if a cheque has been fraudulently cashed, that's between them and their bank.

I'm not sure where I stand with this. Can anyone offer some advice?

You can ask them the date, amount and address the cheque was sent out. If that seems to be correct, then report the theft to the police and get a crime number, that will always help things along.

You then report back to the council asking them for the details of the account that cashed the cheque and report it to your bank.