• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Virgin Media - Default for late payment.

robcat35
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello all

Would somebody be kind enough to let me know how to proceed with the following problem I have.

I was a customer with virgin media for 2 or 3 years before I cancelled to rejoin sky in May 2010.

I cancelled the direct debit with my bank and thought that was it. Virgin then contacted me to say I owed £116.07 in arrears. I was a little remit in dealing with this due to other commitments ( my daughter was born on 6th June and I had started my new company after been made redundent in April ) but I eventually paid the outstanding amount in October after receiving a letter from a debt collection agency.

earlier this year I received a copy of my credit file which stated I had a default notice against my name from Virgin media. I spoke to Virgin media and they confirmed it was for the £116.07 which was now settled. I could not remember ever receiving a letter to say they were going to issue a default against my name.

I have subsequently written to Virgin media on 4 occasions aking for copies of the original signed credit agreement and the default notice. They have basically sent me nothing apart from a list of times they wrote to me ( 3 occasions ) and times they called and got my answer machine ( 4 times and I dont have one ).

Im sort of stuck now as I dont know what my next move is. The default has meant I cannot change my car loan which would save me £100 pounds per month and also my mortgage.

Could somebody please inform me whom to contact next.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Maxxpower

Dont know about the form or the cancellation. I do know, from correspondence Virgin have sent me, that they were still trying to charge me for services in june/july so they obviously didn't cancel as per my instructions. This is a little irrelevent though as I paid all outstanding monies as I must have assumed they were due. My beef with Virgin is not the cancellation time or the £116 it is the bloody default they have put against my name.

I'm not sure who's in the wrong with the cancellation or the charges I just know I have a default against my name which should not be there and I would like to know how I can get them to remove it?

Thanks in advance

rob

Hi Idainfife.

Are you saying that they can legitimately place a default against me for late payments without having to issue a default notice?

Surely they have to follow some form of protocol before doing this? If, as you say, they can do this then Gas and electricity suppliers would be able to do the same thing?

I run my own business and as with any business I have bad debtors. I have to jump through hoops to get my money but also have to jump through hoops to even get them to court. Reminders have to be sent, offers of mediation have to be made and then formal letters stating if the debt is still unpaid court action will be taken. But Utility companies, Media companies and such can just bypass all this and place defaults against people. That doesn't seem right. I want that power to blacklist all the bad payers in my industry.

I'm sort of unsure where to go with this now. I've not really done much wrong but am now saddled with a default notice for 6 years which could in theory cost me thousands of pounds. that doesn't seem right to me.

Sorry to keep bashing on about this but I am really frustrated.

I have read Virgin medias t&c's and can find no reference to adding a default to credit files. If somebody else could check them that would be brilliant.

Will post a link below

I have also checked my phone bills and utility bills and can find no reference either.

What I cannot figure out is why Virgin have an entry on my credit file at all? British Gas don't have an entry and neither do Sky who are giving me the same service as virgin.

The way I see it is they are providing a service which they invoice me for and then I pay them (sometimes late!). This is much the same as a shop selling clothes or a contractor building a wall and neitherof these people can add an entry onto your credit file.

Does anyone know why Virgin have and entry but Sky do not.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everybody

Just a quick update for the record.

I have kept writing to Virgin asking for copies of my signed original credit agreement and also a copy of the default notice.

They have provided nothing except fobbing off replys.

I then complained to exquifax that they cannot provide this info and they should look into this.

Equifax emailed this week to say the default has been removed obviously as Virgin could not provide any info to them. This has taken Equifax just 6 weeks.

I have already checked my report (equifax sent a free one when they informed me what had been done) and its all green with a settled when I left Virgin.

My whole point about this is that they should not be allowed to have an entry on my CREDIT file as I am paying for a service and not obtaining credit. If they wish to credit check me before offering me the service that is fine but they should not be allowed an entry on my file as I have not signed a credit agreement, again I stress, they are only providing a service much the same as British Gas, Yorkshire water etc. who do not have an entry on your file as they are selling a product not offering credit.

I have seen a thread on here which had a link to equifax's terms and conditions or annual report. This clearly stated that the only entries to be made were for credit agreements and nothing else.

Anyway all I can say is if you have a dfault from Virgin media I would follow what I have done and hopefully you will have the same outcome.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Marroondevo52

A credit limit is nothing to do with obtaining credit. It only means they want a payment when you reach a certain amount or they will withold services.I run my own business and have several credit accounts with suppliers each account has its own credit limit and once I reach that limit they require a payment before providing more goods.

I didn't know Virgin did this but it is exactly the same thing. You are not obtaining credit from them you have just reached a limit before they need a payment.

Cheers

Rob

• Haha 1

Hi Baldy27

I wrote to and received letters from Virgin Media, Customer Complaints, Matrix Court, Llansamlet, Swansea, SA7 9BB. I wrote approx 7 letters but the majority of thew replies were just standard letters stating they aim to be in touch within 2 weeks.

Send them a letter giving them 28 days to send copies of your default notice etc. and when they dont raise a complaint with a CRA. It worked for me.

Cheers

Rob