• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Failure to notify. Another case!

Number6
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Number 6

Losing in the Magistrates is such good news. You cannot hurt the the DVLA in the magistrates court. They will find it difficult to stop your appeal to the Crown court though they are likely to try to as in my case. Judges are getting fed up with the DVLA using the legal system as a bullying instrument and each case that gets to them is a nail in the coffin of this practice.

PLease quote that the DVLA have made assurances that they are not using the courts in this way in court in my case and they are doing it again.

You don't need to appoint a barrister you can do it yourself or I will help you for nothing. Nothing better than having a barrister appointed by the DVLA squirming uncomfortably in front of the judge. The case is so open and shut that I ate the DVLA Barrister for breakfast. It was so sweet. I said to the Judge that I felt that the DVLA should be ashamed of themselves and be highly embarrassed. He said yes Mr Kennedy I do believe that they are .

DO NOT BACK DOWN NOW Regards Paul

Edited by MARTIN3030

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry How rude of me , forgot my manners in all the excitement !

Evening, good friends of the CAG especially Ray Kay You are THE MAN . So nice to read that you are all still at it helping people out like you did me. I am so grateful to you all for what you did. Best wishes Paul

Hi Number 6 Tony P,

I can understand your concerns about making the case too visible but I don't really think this is a problem. As long as you sent the notification and your conscience is clear as mine was then I suggest you should not fear publicising your arguments because you will not need any element of surprise. Just stroll in through the front door and let them do the worrying. Judges are on the whole highly intelligent and reasoned fair minded people and they know the law and you will win.

Regards Paul

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Congratulations Number 6. I didnt have to do anything at this point but I dont quite recognised some of the terms you use. I'm sure somebody else on the forum will but I simply rang the court and got them to explain anything I wasn't completely clear about because they deal with these expressions all the time.

Now its time for the DVLA to brief their Barrister but there isn't one in the country who can win this case against you if you simply present the case as outlined so often on this forum ! and you have no legal training SWEET !

Best wishes Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear Number 6, I am really sorry. I have given you a lot of encouragement to continue with your appeal because I absolutely believed you would win because having spent a lot of time on this issue myself the argument, I thought is a clear one. I am completely shocked your appeal was dismissed. We need to find out exactly what was the legal argument that supported this verdict and if it is as suspect as it would appear then it needs to be challenged further because if this is used as precedent we could see large numbers of other innocent victims of the DVLA as a result. It could be carnage !

I am wondering if we could all combine and raise the money to fund a further appeal to a higher court to properly settle what would appear to be a terrible miscarriage of justice.

First thing is to find out why this argument that we thought we knew so well was lost.

Still can't really believe it

Paul

Dear Tony P and Surfboy. I could hardly sleep last night because I could not work out how Number 6 had lost. He contacted me this morning and said that Judge ruled that Interpretation act does not apply because the regulations make no mention of service by post.

Sounds clearly wrong to me and I was much encouraged that DVLA have not discovered some clever legal defence.

Number 6 is willing to fight on but cannot take further financial damage. I would be really interested in us all getting together and setting up a fund to collect returnable donation from all who would be prepared to support this case.

Number 6 is absolutely adamant hat he sent the slip so this is clearly a miscarriage of justice that needs to be put right. Next stage I believe is Court of Appeal.

Does anybody know how we could set up a donation system that is clearly transparent and could deal with donation and return of monies once the case is hopefully won. We need also to consider how to publicise that the fight is going on.

Perhaps we could set up some kind of committee . If anybody who is interested or has relevant experience could let me know and I will pass ideas on to Number 6 who is justifiably in a state of shock today after his ordeal but clearly willing to fight on.

This could be such a significant case for so many future victims of the DVLA !

Regards Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I am really sad that Number 6 lost . I am certain that there is a winnable appeal to the Court of appeal in this case but I appreciate Number 6's reasons for wanting to draw a line under his bad experience. Ironically though in my opinion the victory for the DVLA will be short lived. If the DVLA starts getting confident as it seems in post 93 it is only a matter of time before this is revisited at the crown court and a proper verdict is delivered. Like the post nehpets !

Absolutely Ridiculous DVLA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!