style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there I wonder if anyone can please help - and apologies ifyou have had questions like this before!

I am at work so can't search the forum as well as I'd like to.

I had a shoplifting incident with Boots, in October 2011.

I received and ignored various letters from RLP, acting on behalf of Boots.

It appears my debt has now been passed to JB Debt Collection, who have texted me asking me to contact them urgently (this is the first time I've heard from them).

Should I interact with them?

Ignore them?

Pay up?

I've happily ignored the RLP letters as I understand they cannot enforce payment, but this is my first time dealing with a debt collection agency.

Any tips would be welcome,

thank you ~

Vicky

If the RLP cannot be enforced (I'm not sure of this, just saying that if this is the case) by Boots, then it certainly can't be by JB Debt Collection.

As for interacting with them, certainly do not phone or text them. If they haven't written to you there is nothing to do yet. If they do write they are not worth the price of a stamp (especially since they are going up) but you could drop them an email if you consider not answering peoples letters as being rude.

Edited by count orlok

moved to the RLP forum

totally ignore them!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

An email saying that you deny any liability to them or their clients and reminding them that demanding payment where no debt exists is a serious matter should do the trick better than ignoring as they might be persistent

Hi Vicky

How did they get your mobile number? It's worth reading the CAB reports on RLP.

Hi Rebel - sadly I gave the security guard my moblie number, on the form I was asked to complete in-store. I now know I didn't have to do this, but at the time was rather panick stricken and decided that compliance was the best way forward!... VV

I'd send JB a letter that leaves them in no doubt as to your position:

Dear Sirs

Re: Retail Loss Prevention

I refer to the text messages you have sent to my mobile phone on (dates).

Retail Loss Prevention's claim is in relation to a speculative invoice, which is not a legitimate debt. Take notice, therefore, that I dispute that I am liable for any debt to Retail Loss Prevention or any company they claim to represent, on the grounds that no legitimate debt exists.

In the circumstances I consider your demands for payment to constitute a breach of the Office of Fair Trading's Debt Collection Guidance, in that you are attempting to use psychological pressure to force me to pay a debt I do not owe. Any further demands will be construed as harassment and reported accordingly.

I trust that my position is now clear. If you do not understand any part of this letter, you should seek professional help. No further correspondence will be entered into.

Yours etc.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

After ignoring the many text messages from JB Debt Recovery, they have now written to me:

"As we have had no response from you regarding this outstanding account,

please be advised that we may now pass this debt to a third party.

They should be in contact within the next few weeks to arrange a mutually convenient time to call on you.

This action can be prevented by contacting our offices within seven (7) days of receipt of this letter.

To avoid action contact us immediately on telephone number 0141 [...]. "

from the Pre Litigation Department.

Should I pay up? I am worried they are going to send someone around to my house!...

Thanks all

Vicky

Did you send the suggested letter in Post #10?

Basically this is all part of the merry go round and you are not obliged to deal with JB or anybody else, but if you haven't already,

you might want to consider sending that note and add to it a demand that they cease processing your personal data as is your right under Section 10 of the Data Protection Act and that should they not desist, or should they further pass your details to any other organisation, you will take the matter up with the Information Commissioner. For the avoidance of doubt you also remove the implied right for them or anybody representing them to visit you at your house.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi Sidewinder

No I didn't send the reply as suggested; I didn't want to break my silence! I don't know why but it seemed like a "good" idea at the time, plus I am very good at burying my head in the sand... I will put together a letter using the previous suggested text and also the bit you added in. Hopefully they will stuff off soon!

Thanks

Vicky