Agency + Landlord: Massive Dampness

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have recently moved into a new room. When we viewed the place we saw a massive patch of dampness - semi circle with a diameter of a 150cm. I was assured this would be repaired asap as this has been reported to the agency 2 weeks ago. The leak begins somewhere above runs through another persons room then ours, so I felt confident this was a house problem.

I have now been in the house for 5 weeks. The dampness increases and decreases in size with direct relation to the amount of rain which has fallen. The agency has sent round various roofers in total 4 times, each doing a different job only one of the two leaving a good impression.

I have just spoken to the agency they are now organizing quotes to remove large sections of the roof to try and find the cause. I know in his mind he will want to increase rent to recuperate the money or vacate everyone of the house, which he has mentioned. Im going with the first.

This is my problem I have just signed a contract for 6 months as part of a house share. Everybody else in the house has a one month rolling contract as they have completed their 6 months. The house has never been maintained. The agency has never seen the house as I am aware for years and communication has been non existent with the so called manager of the house.

My question is where do I stand with the possibility with increase in rent or eviction notice as i just moved in? In what position are my longer standing house mates in?

The scenario for this situation is would assume would be to increase rent and if we refuse..... please get out!

I have been waking up every morning with a sore throat. I have humidity pods which are helping! To see the problem you can find a photo of the dampness attached. Be warned. It's a biggen!! May cause other tenants harm!

Thanks in advance.

Dampness.jpg

Edited by Arias

wow...

that is a big 'un isn't it.

To be honest, most of your answers can be found here and have been discussed over and over and over.

the landlord can't evict you inside of the six months.

(though can after six).

the rent increase can't happen inside of your six month contract either, (has to be at reasonable times).

you can however "agree" with the landlord that you'll vacate. (I.e you might both choose to end the AST contract without penalty, for the benefit of the landlord being able to do work, and for the benefit of you, not having a damp wall or living in a builders mess.

that is of course assuming that when you say you've signed a 6month fixed term AST and all the other tenants have ASTs that are periodic you mean you all have separate tenancy agreements.