• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CSA instruction to DWP & job seekers

oburoni
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The CSA instructed the DWP to deduct 35 pounds from my 67.50 pounds jobseekers leaving me with 32.50 pounds to live on.

A couple of thoughts:

1) my DWP/job seekers statement quotes "..its based on the amount the law says you need to live on" . When it states the "law" which law /act ? Can any one elaborate for me?

2)If the CSA/DWP have eluded together so that I am receiving less than what the law says to live on ,then technically both parties are in breach of that law are they not? Then can I not take legal action against them?

Recently I have experienced atrocious treatment from the DWP ending up with the Independent Case Examiner, my feelings are the DWP and CSA are not interested in getting themselves to be efficiently run organizations( they are probably more interested in getting fat pensions) unless they receive some motivation to do so.

hi

no i don't owe money; I was diligently paying my ex-wife 5 pounds direct without fail. For reasons unknown she decided to instruct the CSA to collect the money. Without any consultation ,phone call, or anything else the DWP sent a statement that 35 pounds would be deducted.

Due to nonsense from the DWP over a previous issue i've developed zero tolerance to them. From where i'm standing its building up to harassment case, certainly i'm ready to take any legal action I can

This is puzzling. If there are no arrears your ex-wife can't simply "instruct" the CSA to collect more money. We need more information about this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

hi

I don't know who came up with the amount of 35 pounds to deduct.I can confirm that they have deducted that amount and have a statement from the DWP confirming this.

I can only confirm that for some reason my ex-wife decided to get the CSA to collect the money instead of me sending it to her direct.

By the way I haven't even cancelled the 5 pounds going to her direct from my account ,since knowing the CSA that could cause another problem.

Just like on previous occasions I have written to the CSA & DWP nothing in writing from either of them so far. Also my MP -he has no info from DWP or CSA to tell me either.

On my letters I have asked various questions like who decided to deduct, when, is there a recognized minimum amount that someone can live on etc

If I don't get a reply I want to take this further. Previously I had issues with the DWP on information; without going into details I asked what information they had about me on their database (i asked this since I knew there was an error).

To give you an example of the mentality of the DWP, I got a reply from the DWP written to me quoting in their letter my NI, my name and address.They said in this letter they needed more information and to write it on an enclosed form.Guess what they wanted to know -my N.I number, name and address. I lost the plot at that stage.

I have all letters to and from the DWP of the previous case.

What i really want to know is if the CSA /DWP have breached any laws; I have been reading up on the Human Rights but it doesn't look like that law applies.

I had my benefit suspended a few months ago, and while waiting for the appeal to go through I claimed Hardship Allowance.

Not sure of the exact figures but I think they allow you 2 thirds of your JSA to live on. More than £35 anyway. That must be the absolute minimum they think you can live on.

I had my benefit suspended a few months ago, and while waiting for the appeal to go through I claimed Hardship Allowance.

Not sure of the exact figures but I think they allow you 2 thirds of your JSA to live on. More than £35 anyway. That must be the absolute minimum they think you can live on.

I thought all yuour JSA was to live on they dont give you any extra for the finer things in life, from what I have seen it is £5 per week, government is trying to raise it to £10 though

Hardship is 60% of your weekly rate, IIRC. I am puzzled by the situation described in the OP, but I must admit I'm at a bit of a loss to suggest what to try next. Oburoni has already tried pretty much everything I would have suggested.

As to whether or not they've broken any laws, again, without an explanation as to why they're doing what they're doing, it's hard to say. Perhaps a consultation with a suitably experienced lawyer might be the next step.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Are the CSA law that is the only question I would be asking!!!!!!!!

Well, they're an executive agency charged with the task of implementing and enforcing the law.

Enforcing what law

The rite to take money that some people can't afford!!!

I'm not here to defend the CSA - I was just answering the question you asked.

• 3 months later...

The CSA can only request money to be deducted for maintenance. The decision is down to the DWP but the DWP is supposed to ensure you still have the minimum amount to live on by law. I just don't know the amount. It may be worth making DWP specify what the deductions are for to make sure it's not something else like social fund loan or council tax.

If I were you I'd find out what your weekly CSA liability has been calculated as. If your case is recent it should be £5.00/w flat rate if your are in receipt of prescribed benefits. The rest could be for any 'build up' between the case start date and the DWP started to make deductions. BUT there is still a tight limit on how much the CSA/DWP can deduct for these arrears.

With regards to you still paying your ex directly, I would stop. If you're having CSA payments taken, then she's effectively getting more than she's entitled (if that's the word) to. She can't have it both ways.

SAFU