Advice on various PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone!

I've been a visitor to the site for quite sometime but it's only now that I've taken the plunge and registered. I would really appreciate some help regarding PPI - I've had a search on the forum and I'm just confused by the various experiences of the people here and different bits of advice.

1) My parents had credit cards which they paid off about 4 years ago. Unfortunately, they can't remember the account numbers and they don't have any statements or cheque stubs left (my father shreds anything and everything!) From what I've read on here, am I right to say that an SAR would obtain and provide this information?

2) How far back is it possible to claim? My mother had an M&S charge card which she knows that she had PPI on (it caused an argument at the time). She paid off the account and closed it about 2002. Is is still ok to claim or is it pushing the boundaries a bit too much?

3) I've read in a number of places that if you were employed as a civil servant (i.e.., armed forces, nurse, etc.) it wasn't necessary to have PPI as you would receive full pay. Is this correct? It would help to know as my mother was a nurse at the time of these cards and loans.

4) There were some comments on one forum (I think it might have been another one to this) that sometimes the PPI was 'hidden' or not explicitly stated on the credit card statements at the time. Is this the case? It might explain why my father is unsure about whether one of his cards had PPI or not.

Any help would be great. My folks aren't sure what they should do and have considered using a claims company or their solicitor.

Hello everyone!

I've been a visitor to the site for quite sometime but it's only now that I've taken the plunge and registered. I would really appreciate some help regarding PPI - I've had a search on the forum and I'm just confused by the various experiences of the people here and different bits of advice.

1) My parents had credit cards which they paid off about 4 years ago. Unfortunately, they can't remember the account numbers and they don't have any statements or cheque stubs left (my father shreds anything and everything!) From what I've read on here, am I right to say that an SAR would obtain and provide this information?

Yes SAR each company. Cost is £10 per SAR and they will have 40 days to comply

2) How far back is it possible to claim? My mother had an M&S charge card which she knows that she had PPI on (it caused an argument at the time). She paid off the account and closed it about 2002. Is is still ok to claim or is it pushing the boundaries a bit too much?

No time limit on PPI reclaims

3) I've read in a number of places that if you were employed as a civil servant (i.e.., armed forces, nurse, etc.) it wasn't necessary to have PPI as you would receive full pay. Is this correct? It would help to know as my mother was a nurse at the time of these cards and loans.

Many civil service/government/public sector jobs would provide more than adequate benefits making the PPI useless

4) There were some comments on one forum (I think it might have been another one to this) that sometimes the PPI was 'hidden' or not explicitly stated on the credit card statements at the time. Is this the case? It might explain why my father is unsure about whether one of his cards had PPI or not.

PPI would be shown on the card statement. Hidden tends to relate to loans or the fact that the applicant wasn't told about PPI being part of the "deal" in the first place

Any help would be great. My folks aren't sure what they should do and have considered using a claims company or their solicitor.

No, don't do that....it will cost a lot and they will do nothing for you that you cannot do yourself

Hi

Welcome to CAG

Please see my answers in red above

ims

• Confused 1

@ims21 - Thanks v much for that. I have a quick followup (if you don't mind?!?)

I've seen it posted/discussed that in cases such as an M&S charge card it's difficult to claim successfully. It's something to do with the fact that the charge cards were pre-FSA and aren't covered by certain banking regulations etc. Is this the case?

@ims21 - Thanks v much for that. I have a quick followup (if you don't mind?!?)

I've seen it posted/discussed that in cases such as an M&S charge card it's difficult to claim successfully. It's something to do with the fact that the charge cards were pre-FSA and aren't covered by certain banking regulations etc. Is this the case?

Hi

I wouldn't worry too much. They may be difficult but not impossible.

If it were me I'd get the information and get a claim in. Cross the bridges as you come to them. The only way you can counter their (possible) refusal is to find out their reasons and the only way to find those reasons out is to claim.

We can help you all the way.

ims

• 2 weeks later...

Help needed!

My mother sent a SAR to M&S last week for her chargecard. We amended the letter slightly and included a list of her previous addresses for the last 20 years (there's only been 3 of them) in order to expedite the process. M&S have today contacted my mother to say:

"Unfortunately I am unable to comply with your request at this time as the address details that were provided differ from the details we hold on our systems".

Given that the letter acknowledges a) that my mother had an account with them and b) includes the chargecard account number at the top of the letter, what should she do? Any advice on the position taken by M&S would be grateful.

UPDATE:

My mother called M&S to enquire about this letter and the requirements. She received a call back from M&S saying that under Data Protection they only required 2 addresses and that including the 3rd address had confused them. All they wanted was the address where the account was opened and her current address. She now has to return the letter to M&S with her CURRENT address on and the 40 days will start from then. FYI - the current address they have asked for is the address to which the sent the letter asking for the current address... Go figure!

Is this a case of M&S dragging their heels? (I'm going to cross post this in the M&S thread just in case it's missed).

Edited by Sim79
New information