E.on call at house despite being told to communicate in writing only

Jinnx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my first post, so I'm hoping that I'm posting in the right section.

My problem is that I've received several letters from E.on threatening to send people to my house and charge £30 for this. I wrote to them about 2.5 - 3 years ago refusing all visits (with the obvious exception of meter readers, which are not chargeable), and insisting that all communication had to be in writing only. However, they have still sent people out to visit in person, and applied charges to my account. Although they ignored my initial letter telling them not to visit, they have replied to one letter I sent refusing to pay the charge and reminding them that they'd been told not to call. This reply was at least a year ago, so their most recent visit last month they can't claim they didn't know I'd told them not to.

Now, because the gas was disconnected several months ago (not by E.on) I'm no longer using the supply, so I won't be paying them any longer. I've calculated how much I should've owed by adjusting the bill with the correct reading. But I have deducted the money for two visits, which I told them they were not to make.My query is, that as this will inevitably go to court, will the court uphold my insistence that they do not visit, or would the court rule that I have to pay for this too? I took the wording from a site online - it might have been on here, but I can't remember, and stated that I was revoking implied consent for them or any of their representatives, etc, and they could only contact me in writing. So does this mean that their subsequent visits were unlawful and that the courts would not back them up in trying to charge for them?

Note, by the time it gets to court, the only money 'outstanding' will be for the visits I told them not to make

Any advice/help appreciated.

Edited by Jinnx

IMO if they continued to make visits whilst you had expressly informed them not to (in writing? with proof?) then they will never be able to take this anywhere near a court, if that is all that is outstanding, AFAIK no-one has ever been taken to court for unpaid fees or charges.

And these clowns are extremely unlikely to pursue this through the courts, it would cost them treble what they claim you owe.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

@ Bazooka Boo: Hi, yes I have told them more than once, and did put it in writing all times. They didn't respond to my initial letter telling them they weren't to call, or acknowledge it. But they did acknowledge a letter I sent later reminding them that I'd told them not to visit, and have added charges since they acknowledged that letter. They also said they were going to keep the charge on the account, and would make charges in the future.@rdm2006: Thanks, if they continue demanding money after I've paid the last tenner, I will give them a try.

My understanding is that if you have had a supply by a certain energy company or they are responsible for the pipework/meters, they are allowed by law to visit your property. I don't think the nature of visits is clarified by the law. This has been the subject of a number of features on programmes such as watchdog, where people have found that people from energy companies have actually entered someones home, without the homeowner being there.

As suggested by rdm2006, you should perhaps give the energy ombudsman a call to clarify your position.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

This is the trouble with corrupt Governments such as ours......thinking they can enforce laws to control it's own people! Enter my property without invitation and you will remain in the jaws of my Bullmastif until I get home, and even then I might ignore you!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Please call me Boo..........and yes I do remember, but I don't wish to be the first human to try it out!!!