Driving license question!

Tootz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I hope ive posted this in the right section. Basically - I passed my driving test on July 18th 2008, on July 4th 2010 I recieved 6 points straight up for speeding (2 weeks before the 2 year mark - bummer!) so I had my license revoked in january this year. I did my theory test again and passed my practical test on July 25th 2011. Now, I have recieved my driving license back with the new 'valid from' date of 02/08/2011, however it still has my original test pass date of 18/07/2008 on the back of the card. The counterpart of my license also states the date of 18/07/2008, but obviously along with the 6 points I knocked up. There is no mention of my revokation or the mention of my new test pass date. My question is - when I come to get insurance out for my car, shall I put that ive been driving for 2+ years or shall I enter the second date I passed my test?? Which means if I do that, technically ive only been driving for a month?! I have 2 years NCB aswell which I know I can still use, but it doesnt make much of a difference to my insurance - the no. of years driving experience seems to make the bigger difference. Basically - for the car I have, If I put iv been driving for a month but have 2 years NCB my insurance is something ridiculous like £1300. If I put my original pass test date in, then my insurance comes down to about £700 for the year. What should I do? Thanks

Ok so from July 2008 to July 2011 - it wouldnt be 3 years because I had the license revoked for 6 months at the start of this year, so really ive only held a license for 2.5 years and not the full 3.

I think raydetinu is right it's your original pass date. They'll will take into consideration the 6 points. The ban was ''paid for'' with your second test. I really dont know for certain if that's the case. I know drink driving bans etc stays on for years. I would imagine if the ban isn't on its spent. The DVLA do that ''valid from'' thing even if you change your address or name. Ring the DVLA and they will tell you if your ban should still be recorded on your licence.

. The ban was ''paid for'' with your second test. I really dont know for certain if that's the case. I know drink driving bans etc stays on for years. I would imagine if the ban isn't on its spent. The DVLA do that ''valid from'' thing even if you change your address or name. Ring the DVLA and they will tell you if your ban should still be recorded on your licence.

The OP was not "Banned" clairedcat. By aquiring 6 points within 2 years of his first full licence it was "revoked". There is no specific time he was without his licence, and indeed I have heard of people managing to get back through the tests in as little as 4 or 6 weeks. Once passed, the only thing on his licence is the 6 points, the "revoction" is not a relevant consequence at this juncture.

Also, it may be of interest to know for the OP in case he has overlooked it, the ability to revoke a licence is only valid for 2 years from his First full licence, so he is "in the clear" so to speak of ever having his new full licence revoked again.

Of course, the danger of a "proper" ban is still hanging over him if he achieves 12 valid points on his licence in the next couple of years.

Thanks crem for putting what I said in a more concise way. At least now the original question has been answered, that the period he ''was not allowed to drive'' wont have any impact on his insurance.

1). There was no period in which he was banned from driving; he merely lost his entitlement to a full licence and was restricted to a provisional licence until he passed another test

2) his insurers will need to be told about his conviction and the 6 points for up to 5 years from when they were awarded.

Thank you for all of the replies - its helped alot. I did actually ring an insurance company up and they said I needed to state the "most recent" pass date - but Im pretty sure the woman on the phone didnt fully understand the situation, i think she thought I had actually been banned for a period of time. Surely if I had to put the most recent pass date, then that date of 25/07/2011 would be on my counterpart license aswell? Im just going to put my original pass date in, declare the SP50 that I received along with the £165.00 fine and 6 points and hope that will be ok.

The revoking of a licence won't be relevant to an insurer not least because it can be a rather unfair consequence of receiving points.

eg

I am 23 and decide to take my 1st car driving test. I pass then the next month get caught driving with no insurance (silly boy!) get given 6 points and automatically have my licence revoked so have to do it all again.

Same person, same age, but I have in fact been riding a motorbike since I was 18 (5 years) but decide I need a car. Take my test, pass then get caught without insurance (Will I ever learn!!) However, as I have held my 1st FULL licence for 5 years my car driving licence will not be revoked, just get the 6 points put on it.

I could go on with several other variations on this wierd law, but I think that highlights the complexities of it.