Have I been unfairly selected for redundancy?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4701 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I work for xxxxx and feel as though I have been unfairly selected for redundancy. The business plans were to reduce the headcount in my department by 13 people and I am now confirmed as one of the 13.

The selection process was based on the performance rating for 2010 and an interview.

The rating for 2010 was on a scale from 1-6, where 6 is the best. I achieved a rating of 4 (above average)

I was told in a 1-2-1 meeting with my line manager at the beginning of that period (early 2010 before any targets had been set or work completed) that a 5 rating would not be possible for anyone. (At the end of the period I learned that several people were given a 5 rating) My work for the year included a lot of excellent process improvements along with my 'Business as usual' tasks being completed. A standout achievement that I had included the design of a database that increased efficiency in my job by upwards of 50%. Upon completion of this database I was told by my line manager that although it is good it can not be used in an official capacity or to go towards my rating because it would not be supported by IT. (The particular job that I had was subsequently moved to our Birmingham office in January 2011 and they still use the database that I created, presumably fully supported), from that point I was then left on a team that did not have enough work for the amount of staff and was moved a month later to another team (without even being consulted) where the only similarity was the job title. 2 Months later an announcement was made that the department was reducing by 13 heads.

When I questioned this recently I was told that I should have appealed the rating at the time, however at the time a higher rating would have only meant an extra £150 annual bonus and I deemed it not worth it. Had I known that it meant the difference between losing my job or keeping it I most certainly would have appealed.

The interview was conducted by my new line manager and another manager that was new to the company. I already know that I do not perform well in interviews due to control of my future being in the hands of others; However, I planned well, Dressed well, arrived early, was calm and performed at what I would rate as mid range.

When I was told that I was selected as one of the 13 (now 12 as someone had left for another job) I requested the scoring breakdown, as I could not understand how I could be in the bottom 12 ranks.

When I received this I was very surprised to find that out of everyone interviewed I had performed worse than them all and only had gained 10 points from the interview aspect of the selection process. I find it absolutely unbelievable that I would be the very bottom performer out of 50+ colleagues.

I have been with the company for 4 years which is longer than most and have always had higher than average ratings, it is my feeling that once my main job had moved to Birmingham I was like a 5th wheel that they did not know what to do with. I also feel that as I was interviewed by 2 managers with whom I had virtually no relationship with that this was detrimental to me. My biggest concern however is that even before the interview they knew that I was going to be selected and that the entire process was carried out with a good idea of the 12 heads that would be leaving.

I am seriously feeling victimized and mistreated and believe that this may equate to unfair dismissal.

I have informed my management of all my beliefs and observations, but I only expect standard answers.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any advice on how to proceed with this.

Many thanks

JP