Formal Complaints

mjc2011
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I had an operation in January which has left me with damage to the 7th Facial Nerve, this was not mentioned as a complication and is not on the consent form either.

There has been a catalogue of errors from the beginning and now I've decided to make a formal complaint.

I am still under the care of the hospital and the Doctor that did the operation is the Head of Department, I have another appointment with him in February.

If I make a formal complaint against him would they make sure I saw a different doctor in February or would I still have to go back and see him. As he is the head of department any other doctor in that department would be one of his staff.

If I wait till after Feb it takes me over the time limit to make a formal complaint.

Thanks

Hi

I had an operation in January which has left me with damage to the 7th Facial Nerve, this was not mentioned as a complication and is not on the consent form either.

There has been a catalogue of errors from the beginning and now I've decided to make a formal complaint.

I am still under the care of the hospital and the Doctor that did the operation is the Head of Department, I have another appointment with him in February.

If I make a formal complaint against him would they make sure I saw a different doctor in February or would I still have to go back and see him. As he is the head of department any other doctor in that department would be one of his staff.

If I wait till after Feb it takes me over the time limit to make a formal complaint.

Thanks

Ah, I have made complaits against doctors and dentists myself. Complaints are very common against these professions.

First contact PALS at the hospital, either in person,phone or by e-mail. You find their contact info on the nhs choices web site. They will do a thorough investigation and they are very good.

If you are not happy they can inform you what the next step you can take.

I can really recommend PALS.

It doesn't matter if your doc is head of department, he still has to take responsibility for his actions, so don't be put off.

You don't have to see this doc, do tell PALS about this. You can also change hospital if you want, you have a choice where you want to go. I changed hospital as I wasn't happy with their manners.

Ah, I have made complaits against doctors and dentists myself. Complaints are very common against these professions.

First contact PALS at the hospital, either in person,phone or by e-mail. You find their contact info on the nhs choices web site. They will do a thorough investigation and they are very good.

If you are not happy they can inform you what the next step you can take.

I can really recommend PALS.

It doesn't matter if your doc is head of department, he still has to take responsibility for his actions, so don't be put off.

You don't have to see this doc, do tell PALS about this. You can also change hospital if you want, you have a choice where you want to go. I changed hospital as I wasn't happy with their manners.

Thanks for your advice. I've already been to see PALS earlier on the year and they recommended writing a formal complaint and said ICAS could help me write a letter.

I didn't realise I could change hospital, do you see your GP or the hospital about that?

Thanks for your advice. I've already been to see PALS earlier on the year and they recommended writing a formal complaint and said ICAS could help me write a letter.

I didn't realise I could change hospital, do you see your GP or the hospital about that?

I told my consultant at my local hospital I wanted treatment at another hospital and she referred me.

But if it's some time you see your consultant ask your GP.

Always do a research of. what the hospital you want to transfer to can offer you before referal.

And remember it's you who make the choice where you want to be treated!

No doctor can refuse your request.

Have you had a neck dissection? sorry to ask but you mentioned facial nerve damage.

I had this op last year and I was lucky, no nerve damage. My consultant told me before the op damage was a possibility so I was prepared.

Edited by DIZZYNITA

No wasn't a dissecion but basically what should have been a routine operation in and out same day, turned into a life threating situation and in hospital nearly a week!

No wasn't a dissecion but basically what should have been a routine operation in and out same day, turned into a life threating situation and in hospital nearly a week!

Sorry to hear that.

Have you got a copy of your hospital record?

This can be obtain directly from the hospital, it costs £10 adminfee then a few pence per copy and postage.

It may help you to figure out what went wrong.

Did you ask the doc/surgeon how many ops he had done before you?

Did any other doc help out?

What exactly did he say what the consequences were before the op?

Do you work or had to give it up?

Edited by DIZZYNITA

• 3 months later...