Grrrr OMG I am So angry

Disgruntled_Employee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4745 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok long story as short as possible.

MiL has very bad heart problems, many years ago had her appendix out later developed a hernia which the NHS refused to fix as too dangerous.

Fast forward 20 years hernia is now so bad more is outside than inside she is in constant agony and on morphine 4 times a day to manage the pain.

GP now says she HAS to have the op or she'll die within 2 years.

Been to hospital for Pre-Op first time all ok want to do it, consultant then passes it on (buck passing)

Initial op date gets cancelled

See different consultant new pe-op arranged as past 30 days. This consultant said i'm not doing it you'll have a heart attack in theatre and then I will.

GP goes spare over it and goes back to hospital.

Another consultant this one says you've got a 90% chance of success i'm the best in the field here and I can do it for you. At this point pre-op 30 days has passed again so another pre-op....

Today back to hospital for another pre-op and this anaesthetist has said you only have a 1 in 10 chance of surviving it i'm not doing it.

so now someone who is in constant pain, suffers from terrible depression, has constant infections etc is now distraught at the way she's been treated and pretty much resigned to being in pain unable to get out of bed most days due to the pain and the morphine.

Furthermore she is obviously on benefits (and pension) and the hospital is 30 miles each way so all the needless and pointless trips to the hospital have cost a fortune as well.

I'm just beside myself with the way she's been treated. Going to get onto Norman Lamb immediately anyone got any tips on other avenues to take up?

Hello,

I'm so sorry to read about your MiL's poor care, I'm afraid the elderly are discriminated against in the NHS but there's nothing we can do about it. I even went to lobby MP Norman Lamb in London, without success.

My father died, as a consequence of a strangulated hernia. Another issue is the "Prom's study, if you google this you will find that knee, hip, groin hernias, varicose vein operations etc are not being carried out nationally, due to poor outcomes. It does not matter if you are in severe pain, its just an excuse to save NHS money.

I made an official complaint to the hospital about how my father died but I've just been fobbed off, with "lessons have been learnt". Legally there is no redress, as the value of a claim would be negliable, due to the age of my father.

I hope you will be able to get help for your MiL, please keep us informed on your progress, it may help others.

Regards

Your MIL does she have any medical problems ? Since it seems its the problem is with the anesthetic not the operation , has anyone suggested an alternative to a general ? An epidural or spinal anesthetic works very well in elderly patients .

Hi thanks for the replies.

Her health issues are huge tbh heart problems, incontinent constantly has MRSA infections due to permanent cathetar (well not permanently MRSA infected but often)

They are going to do an epidural but even with that they are very twitchy about it as she's in very poor health (even tho she's only just 60)