Charged £30 Default Notice Fee

awesomo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received my statement today and was surprised to see that ive been charged £30 basically because ive not been paying money into my account. This is a student account with an overdraft of 1250 which i have kept within the limit by about £100. I knew that the banks did charges for unauthorised overdrafts and for unpaid d/ds but was really surprised that they stung me with a £30 charge just for not paying any money in for a few months! I phoned them up and told them that i was pretty sure this charge was illegal but was fobbed off. I told them that i would look in to it and get back to them. Anyone else been charged for not paying money in???

Yes the charge is unlawful if it has been applied as a penalty.

It sounds as if you have run your account correctly. Why don't you write to them asking them to explain in what way you have conducted your account incorrectly to merit this charge.

I got charged that ludicrous fee as well. Apparently I was not using the account in the "usual manner" whatever that was. Unfortunately they would not tell me what the usual manner was for some time, though they eventually told me that I could pay as little as a pound in every month and that would be enough to bypass this unfair, unreasonable and opaque fee.

a friend of mine went to japan for a year and every month natwest did this to him because he wasnt paying in one pound a month. he'd told them before he went and they never mentioned anything about him paying in 1 quid a month. the threat of legal action got him the money back plus interest. he was pretty happy actually as he'd run up the overdraft to start with to stooze (he got 5 grand with three different banks and stuck it in a high interest accuont) so the banks additional charging just made him an extra 8% on what they tried to take off him.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks