Advice...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi peeps, Just after some advice about a work related matter.

Basically i was informed a couple of weeks back that i was required to do an emergency first aid at work course which i questioned if we would be paid for attending said course.

I was told by the supervisor that he was unsure and would ask the manager and over the course of the last couple of weeks i have chased him up several times now about this and told him he needs to respond to me by today (as tomorrow is the day of the training)

He has rang me this afternoon and said that they have been unable to contact the client to find out if we will be paid for attending the training and they are unable to postpone it.

The supervisor started getting arsey with me on the phone so i told him to get the manager to ring me back which he did within 5 minutes later.

He basically told me he had spoken to the client (even though the supervisor told me 5 minutes prior that he was unable to contact them) and they are considering it but the way they see it as they are paying for training for me to get a certificate that will stay with me for 3 years so it's for my benefit.

Now i know my other 2 colleagues aren't keen on doing this work related training unpaid either but the manager has said that the client doesn't want people there who doesn't have this training / certificate and if we wasn't willing to do it they would find someone who will.

My question is do i have any ground here? Are they required to pay for training or offer a day in lieu & even though i've been there over 6 months can they still sack me if i refuse?

Thanks.

I think that dues to your length of service, that you could be dismissed.

On one hand it seems a little unfair to ask you do do this kind of training unpaid. ON the other hand I don't really understand why you wouldn't want to do it. It is a very useful skill. It is useful to put it down on your CV if you are looking for another job and it can be very satisfying of you have been the only person who was able to help someone who had just suffered an accident while every one was standing around gawking and not knowing what to do.

I think that they way that they see it - paying for your training etc is not a bad point of view.

I never said i didn't want to do it, I would just like it if i was paid for attending as it's work related, I'm sure a lot of other people have the same view as me too.

What does your written statement of particulars say about your working hours? Do you work a set number of hours every week, or whatever hours are required of you?

Is this course being held at a time where you'd normally be at work, or out of work hours?

Because it's security work it's what the company requires but since i've worked there my rota is 40 hours per week & the day this training is scheduled for is usually my day off.

Well, you have an argument for being paid. But, it's likely that arguing about it would cause a lot of resentment and a flat refusal might well cost you your job. Either directly or indirectly. And remember, you are receiving training that may be good to go on your CV, as D&O said.

Do check as to what the agreement is regarding paying for this course. Often there's a contractual clause that says one must repay any training cost if one leaves within a certain time, and such courses can be expensive.

Yeah seems like they have me backed into a corner at the moment.

They said the certificate is mine & i wont have to pay back if i leave so that's a good thing i suppose but i never asked for it and for them to nominate one of my days off that i normally spend time with my family to do unpaid training i don't think it's fair.

That's the thing in my industry i don't really have a leg to stand on, If i do refuse then they just say the client doesn't want you on site anymore then it's out of their hands.

It doesn't sound unreasonable that working in security one has such a qualification. I doubt it'll be a long day, most courses are just short daytime. You put a bit of your time in, you come out with a certificate.