Halifax credit card charges and promotional interest

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In addition to looking into Halifax current account fees I also went through my Halifax credit card statements.

I have charges totalling over £100 but also noticed that one of the charges caused the termination of the promotional balance transfer rate.

I know that charges are reclaimable which I am about to do, but has anybody successfully challenged the forfeiting of their promotional interest rate?

I would interested in finding out before I start the reclaim of the charges.

Thank You

If it is of any help I have had the promotional rate of interested reinstated. But I have paid about 3000 pounds over the top of this in past 33 months, I am in the progress of trying to get that back as well. I sent letter 10 days ago also requesting copy of original agreement and subject access request.

How long have you had your account with Halifax?

The account is over six years old, but the charges only started happening from about 3 years ago.

The promotional interest was by means of a special offer mailing just over 3 years ago, I'd forgotten all about it till I went back over the statements.

because it was a few years ago I wonder if I'll have any luck chasing the interest up.

I know that the charges should be fairly straightforward though.

Edited by lhmcr1
spelling

I had my interest rate returned from 29.9% to the original 8.4% pronotional offer. If you have missed lots of payments they may not do this. Initially I phoned their customer services and complained. They (customer services) raised a complaint on my behalf. I recieved a letter about 4 weeks later reducing my interest rate. I have not used my card since the prom rate was removed. I have now drafted Halifax another letter as I would like my overpaid 3000 back.

I do have a copy of my most recent letter I sent to Halifax in my document folder but I am unsure how to give you access to it.

I would suggest you say that you had tried to contact them by phone regarding the removal of the promotional rate, I phoned but was told by customer services that after 6 months since date of removal that they cannot do it. my complaint has proved otherwise, I also asked how they could justify the removal of the rate and replace with an extorniate rate which must surely be for the purpose of profiteering. I also advised them that a copy of my complaint along with a copy of their reply would (should it prove neccassary) be produced in court.

My stage 2 plan after having the rate returned is to get the overpaid financially punitive interet I have paid returned.

Wishing you all the best on your endeavour.

Well done The Abused.

I found out that the interest rate was hiked after just one missed payment, don't know why I didn't question it at the time but I was in the middle of changing jobs amongst other things.

I am probably going to reclaim the charges first and then look into chasing the interest rate avenue.

What are your plans for getting the overpaid interest back? Do you plan to go to the FOS?

Myself personally am wary of going to the FOS due to previous dealings. would this sort of thing be able to go to court do you think?

Hi Ihmcr 1.

I had a reply back from Halifax which was a signed copy of my original and looks ok. The Terms and Conditions are more recent ( my card was Aug 2001 and terms and conditions mention £12 charges ) .

Their reply to my letter letter requesting payment or the justification in the removal of a promotional rate I am still waiting for.

I can understand to an extent charges penalties being made if you 'seriously misuse your account' but not for a late or missing payment. I certainly do not think a judge would look favourably upon a bank who is applying extortionate penalties in what ever form for a well maintained account. True not perfect but should not incur financially punitive charges.

One more thing is I have requested subject access request from opening the account. Halifax may claim they only have info going back 6 years (minimum requirement) so will wait and see what their reply brings.

Regards

Regarding seeking court as a means of getting reimbursement of unfair/illegal penalties I do not see a problem with this. I believe all issues like this need to be looked at on an individual basis, What would you think is fair or unfair. Does fair sound to you that because a creditor may impart terms and conditions which may increase the amount you are charged by several hundred per cent because you are late on a payment. To me it is nothing more than profiteering to repair severely damaged finances due to poor lending and sub prime mortgages.

If needs be I will pursue through the court,

Will keep you informed

An update for you. I recieved this morning a letter from Halifax customer relations. They have refunded to my account the difference in interest so have credited my account with about £1500. So this in itself is a result. I believe I am due a little more than this so will wait for my subject access request. I do have a copy of the letter I sent them but dont know how to get it onto this website.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What has happened, has everyone deserted this site? Some posts on this thread have had no replies.

I am not very good at putting complaint letters together and making them sound good.

Could do with some pointers here if anyone is still around.

Hi Imcr1

If I can be of help.

I trust you have sent off not only for a true copy off your credit card agreement but also a subject access request, this should include all of your previous statements going back 6 years as a minimum if you have had the account that long.

I have not seen the exact correspondence between yourself and the Halifax

However, I would generate a letter to Halifax.

I would state along the lines of ;

Dears Sirs

I am writing to wiyh regards to my Halifax account ................

After looking through my statements I find that you have removed my promotional rate of interest at ??% and replaced it with your standard variable rate of interest at ??%.

I understand that you are governed and regulated by the financial services authority and therefore adhere to a code of practice in compliance with this authority.

Would you therefore confirm that you do have a code of practise you work to.

Can you please explain to me your removal of a promotional rate by a late payment/missing payment which was quickly rectified fully justifies the administration of a financially punitive interest rate hike. Indeed at one time charges of £25 were stated in your terms and conditions for overlimit and late payment fees. As charges are not to be financially punitive to the debtor they were as you must be aware deemed illegal and are reclaimable along with any compounding interest and in addition 8% non compouded interest on top should court action prove neccassary.

When my account was opened there was no maximum rate of iterest that would be applied to my account only a standard variable rate of??%. In your terms and conditions you state that promotional rates (for the lifetime of the loan) may be removed if in any month the minimum payment is not made. Can you inform me whether the removal of a promotional rate is done automatically via software or the decision of an individual without any cosultation with the debtor before or after the rate is applied is in your opinion regarded as treating a debtor fairly.

At present there is no set percentage of rate of interest that is deemed unfair and therefore illegal but can you explain to me why and if neccassary to a court of law how you justify applying an rate of ??% interest to my account with the present 0.5 BOE baserate.

I respectively request that my interest rate be returned to its original promotional rate and any difference paid (including compounded interest) is credited to my account. I will advise you that this letter along with any further correspondence from me or the Halifax will be produced in a court of law should the need arise

Yours sincerely

I am not a legal advisor and my advice is only a guidance

However I have been involved for many years in legislative work in the Nuclear industry and fully understand the importance of accurate and non missleading documentation and signed agreements (wording is of paramount importance)

You can chop change and tailor the letter to suit yourself better'

Regards

Thank you The Abused.

I had just about given up hope of getting any help on the CAG, so your template is greatly appreciated.

I will be sending it off shortly.

Now if only someone would help with my Halifax current account.

Hi

I myself would request a subject access request and a copy of the original redit card agreement and send a cheque for 11 ponnds payable to Halifax. The CCA should be sent to you within 14 days the SAR may take longer I believe 40 days. If no reply for SAR within 40 days you can report them to the information commissioners office.

I would send the request to the normal address you would send payments to. By all means phone the customer services and ask the person (their name first and ask them the address to send to,

As regards current accounts I believe they are still on hold.

Regards and keep in touch

Thank you for your reply The Abused.

I am currently in the process of reclaiming credit card charges from the Halifax so when that is sorted I will move on to reclaiming the promotional interest.

My current account thread is with regards to the new overdraft fees but I have had no luck with that.

Hi there

Have just stumbled on this thread and trying to unpick where things are at.

lhmcr1, where are you with things?

What is it you are still waiting for help on?

ims

I wanted to see if it was too late to do anything about the Halifax current account £2 per day fees, the thread is here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?299810-Halifax-Current-Account-overdraft-charges-Is-it-too-late-to-do-anything

I am progressing O.K. with the credit card side of things though.