Old acc from 1987 with funds Abby now Santander saying it cannot be located..

Jody011
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4850 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All i need some help! I have an old account from 1987 with funds in the account with Abby which is now Santander.

I have recently come across the passbooks and have tried in the bank to claim the money, who advised me to use the website mylostaccount to trace, this had no results so i then wrote a complaint letter enclosing copies of the passbook i have showing the last balance to have funds. I have received a letter back saying they have been unable to trace account and that they are only legally required to hold information on a closed account for a max of 6 years?? And that the passbook is not evidence that the account has not been closed as they dont always mark or ask for the passbook when accounts are closed.

Can anyone tell me where i stand, should i take this further?

Jody

Hi Jody and welcome to CAG.

Santander are right in saying the passbook is not absolute evidence that the balance remained with Abbey.

Approx how much is involved.

I'm sure Santander have access to data beyond 6 years, even though they may not HAVE to keep it. However, 24 years may be pushing it a bit !!

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Jody,

Jeepers, so we're not talking about small change here !!

I have to ask this, for obvious reasons.............

Are you positive that the funds were never withdrawn - this could have been done without the passbook.

I'll seek further input on this.

8)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Contact the British Bankers' Association (BBA), the Building Societies Association (BSA) or the NS&I directly for their forms if you do not have Internet address or prefer to trace dormant accounts by post.

Enter you name, address and contact information online or on the forms. You will need information on any previous names you have had, such as a maiden name, and previous addresses. Information on account numbers and date and location where the account was opened is helpful. Submit your application online or mail each application to the address indicated on the form.

Wait for the results of your request. It can take three months for a complete search. If you have a dormant account, you will receive information about the balance and how to retrieve the funds.

just to give you some encouragement.

when my friends father died in 2007, during the sort out of his affairs

he found a childrens passbook and ins cert opened by his fathers mother in 1926!

with the co-op.

she paid in various regular sums right up until her death in in the early 50's

the bal was some +£7k

as sole exec, the co-op buffed him off with various excuses for 18mts directly or via the will solicitor.

http://www.mylostaccount.org.uk/aboutus.htm

as pointed already was the key to it.

the bba came back quite quickly [about 5 weeks]

lo and behold, the co-op DID have knowledge of the A/C and had found it through the insurance poilcy, even putting a note on the account about his earlier enquiry!!

9mts before eventually saying there was nowt more they could do and the 'passbook' gave no indicators to the money.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Jody,

Jeepers, so we're not talking about small change here !!

I have to ask this, for obvious reasons.............

Are you positive that the funds were never withdrawn - this could have been done without the passbook.

I'll seek further input on this.

8)

No the money has definately not been withdrawn, i have always known there was an account but the book was left somewhere at my mothers and she died recently we then found the book when clearing the house. I just never realised how much there actually was in the account.

I have also just noticed at the back of the book it states you are not able to make a withdrawal without this book? You would think that might proove something?

Jody

Hi Jody,

I know what you are saying about the book being required for withdrawals. But, if a book was lost, there are always measures in place to facilitate withdrawal by alternative methods after proof of identity, address, etc.

However, from what you say, this is unlikely to have happened.

I assume you have also considered the possibility that the account balance could have been transferred into a new investment product with Abbey.

I hope the input from others above proves to be helpful to you.

Please let us know how you get on. 8-)