Deposit not protected - can I pay rent into an escrow account?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm renting a room under an Assured Shorthold Tennancy from a non-resident landlord. I've contacted all three deposit protection schemes and verified that my deposit is not protected and my landlord seems totally unwilling to place the money into a scheme so I want to take him to court.

I'm pretty sure that my case is rock solid but would like to know whether I can start paying my rent into an escrow account as my landlord is being pursued by bailiffs and i think it's highly unlikely that I will ever get my deposit / court fees etc back if I don't.

I'm also a little hazy as to what an escrow is and whether it's the right instrument in this case.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Rent payment and deposit protection are to seperate things.

Rent must be paid in accordance with your tenancy agreement in to the account/way listed. What you are suggesting here is simply witholding rent, which is likley to result in your ultimate eviction from the property.

If you believe there is very little chance of you getting your depsoit or court fee back should you try and sue your landlord, then I would suggest at the outset there is very little point in trying.

I would suggest that the most appropriate way to get your depsoit back would be to withold your last months rent when you are ready to move.