Unpaid Leave & Working Tax Credit

weejay6000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I normally work 30 hrs per wk & receive Working Tax Credit.

On 1st November a relative suffered a stroke & I have been off work since to help look after him at home. My work have allowed me time off for as long as I need it, it is unpaid.

I wrote to Tax Credit people 7 wks ago to inform them of the situation and asked for my WTC to be stopped as I am not working 30 hrs anymore.

I am still getting paid WTC so I phoned the Tax Credit people today and they've said I'm still entitled to WTC and my file is down as Unpaid Leave and that I'm entitled to it for 28 wks.

Does anyone know if this is right??? seems strange to me, I don't want to end up with an overpayment to pay back. Plus I don't see me returning to work anytime soon as my relative needs the help.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

When you are ill, you can be entitled to WTC for 28 weeks: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/keep-up-to-date/changes-affect/work-changes/no-work-illness.htm#2

Unpaid leave usually only allows WTC to be paid for 4 weeks: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ntcmanual/eligibility_remuneration/ntc0340270.htm

I'd be inclined to check it again with them, placing it in writing (trackable delivery and keep a copy of letter) may be a good idea to cover your back.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks ErikaPNP,

I gave them a phone this morning and have been told the advisor yesterday got it wrong. It is only 4 weeks I should've be entitled to the credits not 28wks. Looks like it's all sorted now (I'll have to pay back the 3wks extra that I've received but I thought that would be the case) & they're sending a letter out to confirm situation.