Being made redundant from part of job - rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently work as a manager in a large retail store and have been doing the cleaning as part of my job for the past 15 years. I am still working for the company as a manager, however they have recently employed a separate company to take on cleaning duties in all shops. Some Cleaners who were employed by the company are being re-employed by the cleaning company to continue the job that they were doing, however myself and many of my colleagues who work for the company in other roles are losing our cleaning supplement and being replaced. Despite being paid under a separate section of monthly pay slip and being employed as both a manager AND cleaner I am now being informed by my DM that I have no cleaning contract and am therefore not entitled to any redundancy payment for loss of this position. What are my rights, if any, in this situation? Thanks for any help.

Small update - I have been given a finish date of the 1st of February which is when the new cleaning company starts. The cleaners that currently work for the company are being transferred to the new cleaning company because they have a cleaning contract, but as I do not have a contract for cleaning I will have to apply for the job. If I do not get it then I will be taking a £300 a month cut in my wages and am apparently entitled to no compensation for this. Surely this cannot be right!

Sounds like they have fallen foul of the TUPE regulations, under which they are required to give a consultation to the employees.

However, the laws surrounding TUPE are quite complex, and it's worth seeking advice. For what it's worth, it does sound like you may have cause for some further action here. However, you are right about being in Scotland - it can make a difference.

ACAS can be contacted here - http://www.acas.org.uk - they will be able to help, and have a regional office in Scotland.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)