Sorn fine advice

Rightinit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a fine for not renewing my sorn for motor bike some time ago and letters have been sent to dvla, then Inter Credit and trust became involed. I did my bit, not my fault they haven't done there bit. I am not going to think I haven't had my confirmation of sorn when the bike is buried in the back of the garage and has been for many years.

On 1/11/10 I sent dvla and inter credit a letter disputing my £80 fine and quoted two cases that had won in court against them and said that I would like this to be dealt with in my local court.

Today I have had a letter from DVLA saying the have pulled it back from the 3rd party collection agents and have passed my correspondance over to the relevant department for consideration regarding court action and will be in touch with me. Please be advised that the DVLA has up to 6 years to take these cases to court.

Can anyone advise me if the last part in bold is true or not.

Kind regards

Rightinit

If the claim from DVLA is a Late Licensing Penalty, it is treatead as a civil debt and I understand that the time limit in that case is 6 years.

so why do the magistrates deal with the sorn fines as well as the civil courts

interesting question that

Although some people generalise the problem as 'sorn fines', it depends what DVLA are claiming, if it is for an offence of not having a licence, not notifying change of keeper etc., it is a criminal matter heard in the Magistrates Court.

It is the Late Licensing Penalty, that is dealt with as a civil debt and heard in County Court.

Posts often confusingly refer to 'non SORN' or 'late SORN' etc., but there are no offences regarding SORN, as it is only a valid reason for not needing a licence. The DVLA claim will refer to no licence etc., or late renewal of a licence and it depends which claim they make as to which court system deals with it.

Had the same trouble a couple of years ago,I did phone the DVLA to ask advice as bike was a classic and was told no need for SORN next thing had a letter from Poole saying I had not declared vehicle SORN.Argued constantly with them saying what I had been told in the begining,everytime I received a letter sent a copy of my first letter to them,stopped bothering me after a while.