• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nasty shock from Cahoot/Santander - advise needed please

queenofthesea
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'm hoping some of you could please give me some advice as I've had a nasty shock today.

I recently received a letter from a debt collecting company saying I owed just over £3.5K on a Cahoot (now Santander current account). The account in question is one I've not used in several years, I don't have any cards/cheques etc for it and have not had so for about 4 years. I contacted Santander to ask what was going on, as I thought the account was dormant and the last I knew of it I was slightly in an authorised overdraft to the tune of about £200.

Santander tell me they have been applying a monthly overdraft cost of £30 and that I now owe them just over £3.5K!! I am shocked and very upset about this as I have not received any letters, statements, telephone calls etc from the bank about this and the first I knew of these ridiculous charges was when the letter from the debt collecting company arrived in the week.

Can anyone please advise what I should do? I am happy to pay back the original overdraft, I'm not looking to duck my responsibility on that, but how £200 can turn into £3.5K is sickening and I can't afford to pay all of that off. I'm not sure how best to proceed with this, so any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not received any letters, statements or phonecalls from Cahoot about any of this. The first I knew was a letter from a Debt Collection company I received a short while ago. Cahoot have my address and telephone number but haven't corresponded with me about the charges, hence the nasty shock.

Since my original post I have sent Cahoot a letter asking for a breakdown of all charges to my account since its inception, and have also asked for proof of where human intervention would have been needed and all levels of interest charged. I enclosed a £10 cheque and intend to challenge this ludicrous way banks seem to be able to try and rip people off.

If anyone has any helpful advice or tips I'd really appreciate it. I shall keep you all posted.

should of ignored them

phishing trip

when was YOUR last financial transaction on the A/C

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I wasn't sure I could ignore it, can you ignore a letter from a debt collection company? When I saw how much they said the account owed I didn't want it to get any worse so thought it best to confront it and try to sort it out. From memory I don't think I've used the account in about 4 or possibly 5 years. Does this make a difference please?

Any advice gratefully received.

DCA's have NO LEGAL POWERS!!

they can only sent threat-o-grams.

if the OC wanted their money, why have they not asked for in the in-between period......?

because they wrote the debt off against tax years ago.

their charges are unlawful and they wont go near a court if a counter claim of unlawful bank charges will be made

these muppets have picked it up on a phishing list they have brought and are chancing their arm to find a mug to fleece..

do some reading of some threads here

you'll soon get the idea.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for the reply. It was a very nasty shock when the letter came, so I did some reading around on here and found the templates section and think I'm in a good position to challenge it back to them and ask for refund of all charges. With the interest it may end up that they owe me money, so they may end up wishing they'd left me alone. In the past few days they have taken to calling me up to 5 times a day, but do not leave answer phone messages - I am assuming they have got my letter asking for breakdown of charges etc as they never bothered to call/write etc before!!

harrassment letter time

dx

and they

Cahoot are a bunch of sharks.

I have a very similar problem where a £500 o/d exceeded limit by about a £1. I now owe over £1300, in charges and interest and original debt.

I got letters every so often informing me off charges, so I applied to increase my o/d limit to mitigate the effect of the £30 charge; denied... I wrote them asking for help: no response. I let it simmer a bit longer to incur further charges while I 'forgot about it'. It still accumulates. I asked again for help, to be ignored, I wrote template from this site to them about refunding chrages and got a big bogoff letter. I forgot about it, hope six months hasnt passed so I can now refer it to an ombudsman.

I have actually told them to default it please, at least the charges will stop accuring, no worries about credit rating as its already screwed, thanks to negligient banks (santander) and how they lose important things to mess an everyday guy like me up in my life plans. (Big story see my other posts)

Banks are S H_Arks, and I think the bible tells us that.

As for Cahoot, its not even automated bots that send the letters and look after our accounts, its some really dumb people from Coventry. I used to walk past the office when I walked to Uni...

Ps the crux is here that they were imbasile lenders, lending to anyone and his/her dog. an interest free £500 overdraft for almost anyone if I remember.... But like anything thats too good to be true, it usually is as I'm finding out and QotS.

Feel free to Pm me for any private discussion on this trash.

Edited by Rubberduck

Latest on this - I have today received a default notice letter from Cahoot, saying I now owe them £4K (it has shot up again!!) and I have 14 days to pay it back in full or else.

They haven't acknowledged my letter dated 30/11/10 and so am not sure what I should do. Should I write back again and say I expect the breakdown of all charges and interests, or should I refer this onto the financial ombudsman? I am sorry to post and ask for advice again but I am rather worried about all of this and there is no way I can pay them £4k on trumped up charges. Thanks in advance x

check your cra file

dx

and they

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update you on how things have progressed.

Cahoot/Santander were very difficult to deal with, ignoring letters and phonecalls, but I have perservered in these past few weeks, mentioned the Financial Ombudsman to them a few times, and I have now managed to negotiate with them that they will write off just under £3,000 worth of charges and I have arranged an affordable repayment plan to pay off the overdraft.

Thank you to the people above who replied to my original post, and to everyone else keep plugging away at the banks, they can't ignore you if you don't go away and lie in a darkened room (which is what they'd wish we'd do, I'm sure!)

Thank you.

• 7 months later...

Old post I know... But who did you speak to as I am in a similar position here. I had a credit card with them, which I soigned an agreement for in 2000. Cahoot opened up a current account in 2002, without me signing anything, and sent me a card. They have applied charges month after month, and it now stands at 4K OD. I have complained to the FOS and they say the agreement I signed in 2000 for the credit card also stands for the current account that THEY opened in 2002. Madness...

I need to sort this out asap, and was wondering who you spoke to.

Thanks