PC World Woes!

karinelleno
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me with a problem my mum is having with PC World.

My mum bought a Packard Bell desktop around 18 months ago and had no problems. She has taken out the extended warranty with it so it is covered for repairs.

In August the pc started switching itself off then booting back up again and the off and on etc, she called the repairs line and the pc was collected. 3 weeks later she got the pc back. The paperwork did not show what work, if any, had been done. After installing the pc again she found it had the same problem. Again she contacted the repairs number and they picked it up and returned another couple of weeks later.

Again the pc had the same problem when it came back. She called again and an engineer came round, he thought it needed a new psu and motherboard and said it would need to be collected again. After getting it collected it came back again with guess what, the same problem!!

I have contacted PC World myself now and was told we were at the 6 week mark now so they requested it to be beyond economical repair. Again the pc was collected, the same pc was returned again with no indication of what had been done.

My mum was deeply upset and it took a few weeks before she could pluck up the courage to switch it on again. Yet again it had the same problem.

I contacted the customer service again who had said it was there error and it went to the wrong department and should have been written off then and was returned to her with no work done to it. They collected it again this morning and I was promised it would be written off this time.

After being collected I called up to make sure they had the correct information on the system and I was told that the beyond beyond economical repair was rejected and it was coming back in for repair instead.

They also said that as it had been longer than a week since it had been returned that it would be classed as a new repair and the 6 weeks would start again!

I contacted PC World customer service who said that they had escalated it to the Medics(??) and would get a call back in 24 hours.

I am seriously at the end of my tether and my mum is in a state herself. Can anyone help me?

Hi karin

I really wouldn't bother with their Customer Service Team. I think you need to E-mail the Chief Executive - john.browett@dixons.co.uk Explain what happened in detail. Include dates, reference numbers, who you spoke to when, etc. Explain that you want a different laptop and you also want your warranty extended. On the e-mail also write CC: Trading Standards, xxxxxx, xxxxxx, xxxxxxx. xxxxxx = your local office.

Let us know how you get on.

Is it a laptop or desktop ?.

Laptop are certyainly more problematic to repair, desktops are relatively simple.

It sounds like no-one has got a clue what component is causing the problem, changing the PSU and Motherboard will be no help if the problem is the CPU.

Personally I'd go to the store I bought it and scream and shout untill I was given a new PC but that may not be everyones cup of tea, plus I work in IT support so am well aware of what problems may exist.

PC Worlds' Tech Guys are a bit of a laughing stock within the IT community and featured on Watchdog 2 weeks back, although I believe this was a feature on washing machines, on which they were equally clueless.

Rebel's suggestions seem spot on, just rememeber to chase chase them every day by email/phone/letter, if no new PC within a week, consider a court claim.

Andy