• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Car faulty after just 1 month - Help!

birdyboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First of all, their 1 month 'warranry' may as well last 6 months because under SOGA any fault which develops in that time is assumed to be present at the point of sale. (It would appear that by only offering a 1 month warranty, they are unaware of their responsibilities under SOGA) Secondly, you mention that the wrong oil was in the engine... have you proof of this because I couldn't see an explaination in your post (appologies if I missed it!).

Your actions should be as follows; contact the seller by phone and in writing (by recorded delivery) asking him to recover the car and rectify the problem at no cost to you (as stipulated under SOGA) or you will reserve the right to either have the repairs carried out yourself and persue them for the bill or reject the car and demand a refund. Send a copy to the finance co as they are also liable (if the car is subject to and HP agreement and NOT a loan). Give a time limit of reply of 7 days. Send the letter even if they agree to 'look' at the car over the phone and tell them you will be writing to them formally following advice you have been given. Come back when you have any news.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can do but remove any personal details first.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I've just gone over my dates as wasn't 100% sure, and they are as follows:

Bought car - 18/04/10

Picked up - 21/04/10

Broke down - 18/06/10

So, in actual fact, car was fine for 2 months. This wouldn't change anything would it?

I will try and send you a copy of letter tomorrow.

Thanks

No

Please Note

PM sent to you sailor sam :-)

Just seen it. Seems ok. Can you clarify whether the dealer you bought it from is a franchised Vauxhall one?

Please Note

No, not a Vauxhall franchised dealer.

Pity because there's a new cagger on here called VX Max who claims to be a customer service rep for Vauxhall. Not sure he can do anything as you havn't bought from a Vauxhall dealership but i'm sure he will be interested in trying to preserve the reputation of the mark so I suggest you run this situ by him before sending the letter.

Please Note

Send the letter Monday then.

Please Note

If their response was by email (must of been), print a copy off (as with all future correspondence) and keep it in a file. It may help if you PM it to me.

Please Note

According to the OP's original post Conniff, the finance co don't seem to want to know apart from offering £200 towrds the bill. I would put money on it being n HP agreement which will be good news for the OP in the long run.

Please Note

By the way Birdy, how many miles has the car done; at the time you bought it and current?

Please Note

Thanks for that very informative post Helio (as usual!). One thing you may have not picked up on though is that the OP believes the wrong type of oil was added when the seller did the 'full service' prior to purchase. This is signifitant (although perhaps not a contributing factor to the main problem) don't you think?

Please Note

Maybe. Lets hope they get back to you before your deadline expires!

Please Note

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to add interest to the court application. If in doubt, come back and i'll advise further.

Please Note

Thanks Sailor.

Another quick question, when I put on the amount I want to claim, this would obviously be the repair bill + any other costs occured to me.

Do I use the quote from Vauxhall or should I shop around and get a range of prices? (which would be much cheaper)

My car hasn't been repaired as I cannot afford to fix it!

Thanks

Well I just re-read your letter to the dealer and I suggest that armed with the oil issue, you write a rejection letter demanding your money back as your first letter has gone un-answered. Indicate that the seller may now collect the car as you are formally rejecting it under the SOGA and therefore you require a full refund within 7 days or you will make a cliam via the courts without further notice. This action will also result in you claiming interest from the date the car broke down until payment or judgement which ever si sooner plus all court fees.

If however you are happy having it repaired then get a quote off a Vauxhall dealer (in writing) and commence proceedings for that amount. (Your letter has allready for-warned the seller so you could commence proceedings straight away) Interest would be calculated from the day the fault developed. add 8% onto the repair cost, divide by 365 which will give you the daily rate of incurring interest.

Please Note

• 3 weeks later...
Update

Dealership had emailed me asking to take the car in so they can investigate.

I emailed back saying no as they had the opportunity to sort it and I said they can settle the costs fopr repair or let the court decide what happens.

Today, have received an Aknowledgment of Service and they are intending to defend the whole claim.

I guess I now wait for them to file their defense and see what they say?

They're obviously not so confident that they are not liable! Keep us posted.

Please Note

• 4 weeks later...

Don't be suprised if at the last minute they ask for judgement to be set aside to allow them to enter a defence.

Please Note

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Can they do that even though they've had the 28 days to file their defence?

Thanks

Also, do my timings work out correctly?

They will likely try and the judge may allow it. As for your timings, you seem to have had the answer from the court. Apply for judgement tomorrow and when it has been granted you will be able to issue a warrant for the bailiffs to go in.

Please Note

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Another update

Just checked on MCOL and its now showing as 'Your claim was transferred to MILTON KEYNES on 08/11/2010'

Just called up the court to confirm, what this means and it looks as tho they have filed a defence and I should receive this in the next few days!

Any advice hat anyone can give me?

It means that the case has been transered to Milton Keynes County Court which I believe is your nearest. Any hearings will be heard and all future docs will be submitted there.

You can still ask for judgement to be entered because they are filling their defence out of time. They will then have to ask for it to be set aside and it is up to the judge whether he accepts their late defence. It is likely he will allow it i'm afraid even though technically he can diss-miss it for being late.

Please Note

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful

Received papers yesterday on their defence.

Basically, they have explained how the DPF works (Which I already know!) and have also pointed out it could be my manner of driving that has blocked it! Really? Driving 20+ miles each day on fast country roads & motorway? In the space of 2 months and covering 1800 miles? I find this unlikely.

They have also said that as the car was serviced and MOT'd it would have been picked up then.

I recall on the engineer report from finance company that this part was a serviceable item? I'll have to double check that as this would be in my favour?

I now have til the 25th Nov to fill out the allocation questionnaire. Got to pay £35 too...

Is it worth me doing the free court thing? Where I wouldn't have to attend as can be done over the phone. (Can't remember what its called!)

You mean mediation? It means someone independant will conduct an 'interview' over the phone with yourself in which you explain what you will and will not accept. They will then do the same with the respondent. You can always choose this route and see what they come up with.... you still have the option of refusing what ever is offered and take it the full distance.

Please Note

• 1 month later...
Thats the mediation finished.

A lot of too-ing & throw-ing but no settlement agreed unfortunately...

Court it is then! :|

Please keep us posted.

Please Note

What!? You had to pay the court fees!!!!??? Not a good result then! Personally I would appeal. Its too good a result for the garage. As you say they could of saved you the £300 court fee so THEY should pay it!!!

Please Note

How did you come to this 'arrangement'? Was it before going into court? What did you tell the court (clerk) about the 'arrangement' and have you told the court that the case is 'satisfied'?

Please Note

Mediation was the opportunity to 'come to an arrangement' which obviously didn't work. So far, this has gone dramatically in favour of the dealer as I see it. I strongly suggest that you contact the court and ask them the position of your costs because as things stand, you are the looser in respect of those.

Please Note

Contact the court office by phone tomorrow and ask their advice. Make it clear you want to know about your costs. I am guessing that some kind of judgement will have to be made against the dealer as he should pay the court costs. Ideally the question should of been posed to the judge when you came to 'your agreement'. Your argument is quite simply that the dealer failed to respond before you commenced proceedings and the application progressed to the point that you had to pay for the hearing which, had the dealer demonstrated his willingness to 'come to an agreement', could of been avoided thus you feel it appropiate to request that the court make an order for your costs to be allowed.

Please Note

Good thinking about the photo's. So they have already broken the 'agreement' by not providing you with a courtesy car!? I would put that in the letter also unless you get it PDQ!

Please Note

Edited by sailor sam
Signature not posting.

PDQ? Does that mean Pretty Damn Quick?

I'll PM you the letter I will send, feel free to add to it! (if thats ok)

The car is called norbert also, if you was wondering about the photo name :madgrin:

Correct! I have seen and slightly amended the letter. I also commented that I am assuming that the case has yet to be dismissed and a final order made. I note from your earlier post that it is the correct in which case your costs should be considered otherwise, you may as well have paid for the repairs yourself!!!

Please Note

Edited by sailor sam
signature not posting