style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly, I've checked the stats for 1024x768 res. They have now been updated to 2010 and it seems that about 20% of the population are still using these screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

Considerably less than the 60% which I had originally cited. However, I'll bet that those 20% are disproportionally comprised of poor, old blah blah and who need to be spoon-fed their technology a bit more than the rest of us.

I see that point you are trying to get at with the reserved parking spaces but this is a false analogy.

The disabled parking spaces you are referring to are not allowed to be used by anyone else. If they are not used, then they are empty slots - and of course as you say, that is very frustrating for non-disabled drivers who are unable to find their own space.

Nothing like that happens on this website - or any other. The fact that we try to make the site accessible to a particular section of the public does not prevent you or anyone else coming onto the site, viewing it and using its resources. If we want to use your analogy that we are a car park, there are no empty spaces. The entire space is accessible to everyone.

In fact the analogy you suggest works in reverse because if we don't concern ourselves with accessibility for the (shall we say) disprivileged proportion of the population, we actually exclude them (or we are in danger of doing so). They become excluded by their poor health or their aged-ness or by their poverty. They become the drivers who come into the car-park and see the empty spaces which appear only to be usable by the fit, the young or the non-poor.

I expect that these people already face enough exclusion and they don't need any more when they come here.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's more disproportionate (I didn't articulate that point very well i know) as in there are more disabled spots than is required, probably driven by statistics as to how many disabled people there are

per population but then you could factor that not all disabled people have access to free parking and some disabled if you listen to the Govt should not be claiming and blah blah....but in any case is Cag

attempting to spend more by way of updating the forum to cater more for those 20% (your last figure quoted) as opposed to the other 80% ? I don't suppose it's much help but I do know

several people that sill use 14in crt monitors, they're not poor but granted they're perhaps not as it savvy as the average (if there is such a thing)person. Both of them live with cash, no credit cards

and pay their bills in cash rather than by electronic means, they don't have loans and they still shop at the local butchers....that kind of life but they're not poor or in debt...In fact in some ways I envy them

because they have no debt and spend only what they have available to them...bliss..

I recognise the need for change, I don't like a good amount of them but I'll live with them simply because I believe that CAG can and does make a difference and as stated previous it's not a democracy

and neither is it run by concensus, it's your boat not the members, not really.

It's a shame a geek couldn't come along and write an iphone app for cag similar to the one just released for ebay, that would altogether dispense with making it friendly wap wise. I don't envy your

current position, it must be an incredibly difficult act to juggle but please don't sway too much towards those less fortunate than most and that isn't being selfish it's just that it won't work and you

run the risk of alienating the board/website from the vast majority in the name of the minority.

You could always run a cag-lite version alongside this full one?

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

:wave:

You could always run a cag-lite version alongside this full one?

I think the Cag members who are doing the upgrade have quite enough on their rather full plate without having to luach a Cag-lite site.

:thumb: site team unfortunatley when you have finished all your hard work upgrading no one will notice.

While there are a few niggles CAG is still moving forward.

I for one :clap2: thank you for your hard work. :clap2:

:wave:

regards

bill

dk

If you look at one of my earlier posts in this thread, you will notice see that a WAP style and a high res version are all on the list - so there will be choice for you all at some point. I expect that in the next 6 months it will all have been achieved. Maybe a lot sooner than that.

Thanks for the votes of thanks and encouragement - and to those who criticise what we are doing - even criticism is helpful as it helps us move forward. However, to those who have spotted that we are trying to do a balancing act between every-one's interest, a big thanks.

It's not fun, but it is pretty interesting!!!

I keep getting completely lost on here ... and haven't had a reply yet to my thread posted several days ago in the NatWest forum :(

If it was easier I'd even be able to help with the PHP programming, but I'm lost just using this site as a user - don't know how messy it must look on the 'other side of the fence'!

Also, on the page 626-faq-the-new-bank-charges-position on the consumerforums dot com site it asks users to send a scanned copy of any correspondance they have, in which banks claim that their charges are fair. I couldn't find an email address though (or does the copy need to be sent to the postal address?), and couldn't post a question either because I was told on that page that I had to log in to reply - which isn't possible, see my problem mentioned in my other thread.

Sorry for moaning but I'm usually known for getting the hang of things very quickly. This place however just confuses me.

Edited by fighting for victory

The consumerforums.com is broken. We are trying to get all the material over here and it will be fnally transferred in the next 10 days or so. Then the Joomla system will be dumped. Everything should start working after that.

Sorry for the hassle. It ain't great but we are doing our best to sort it all out.

Could you flag your natwest post up to the site team. you should have had some support by now

The consumerforums.com is broken. We are trying to get all the material over here and it will be fnally transferred in the next 10 days or so. Then the Joomla system will be dumped. Everything should start working after that.

Sorry for the hassle. It ain't great but we are doing our best to sort it all out.

Thanks for clarifying that, BankFodder. I thought maybe it was me going mad ...:!:

Not sure what you mean by flagging up my post? It's the thread 277717-FFV-vs.-The-NatWest-Gangsters which I started to document my progress, but I'm stuck at calculating the total amount. Think I've probably got it right but not completely sure, so it would be nice to have it confirmed whether I am doing things the right way.

Thanks!

Vlick the triangle under your post and ask for some help.