CRB checks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i am wondering if anyone can advise me on this.

I want to apply for a job but it states the job is 'exempt' from the Rehabilation of Offenders Act 1974 and as a consequence I am required to disclose details of all convictions, current and spent. They also want me agree to them doing all necessary background checks. I am not sure whether this means a CRB check will be carried out as they do not clearly state this.

I have looked at the types of organisations and roles that would require CRB checks but cannot see that this job would fall under any of the prescribed categories. Although, it does states any roles which requires access to databases under section 12 of the children act can be crb checked. This role does involve the use of a database, but its not a national database, and children form part of the database so its not an exclusive childrens database. I have worked in similar roles which didnt require CRB checks so I am not sure what to make of this as I am not happy about being CRB checked!

many thanks for your help!

well its going out the window soon anyway.

there are diff powers in place now

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dx

thanks for ur reply, wud u be able to elaborate on that further?

cheers

dx

CRB is not changing, just the Vetting and Barring Scheme. CRB's will still be required for certain roles.

This is the information that came out the other week from an organisation I work with.

"As you may have seen from this week’s national press the Government have announced a review and remodelling of the Vetting and Barring Scheme (VBS) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

In order to carry out this review the Government have halted the planned implementation of the scheme.

Whilst the VBS will not now be implemented as planned, the requirement for Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Access Northern Ireland (ANI) disclosures remain unchanged. In XXXXXX CRB checks are therefore still required for those who:

• wish to become a Member or Associate Member; or
  • may have unsupervised access to young people; or
  • will have involvement with the handling or management of funds; or
  • will be assisting with overnight activities (including Nights Away); or
  • will be helping out once a month or more.

It is also still our intention to implement eCRB (albeit without the VBS requirement) across England and Wales from Monday 26 July 2010, as this will reduce both local postal costs and processing times."

CB500

Any advise that is given, is from my experience, either in life in general or from my years of senior management in the hospitality and leisure industries. However, please take legal advise before taking any actions.

As stated above, the scheme is being overhauled and replaced, but for now, the system will still work in the same way as before.

I am presuming that you have checked the current LIST of exeptions to ROA and roles where CRB checks are applicable? I must say some of the categories are pretty unbelievable so I am not at all surprised that the provisions are being scaled back!

Not being rude but is there a particular reason why you are not happy at the prospect of a CRB? This could be a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

As stated above, the scheme is being overhauled and replaced, but for now, the system will still work in the same way as before.

I am presuming that you have checked the current LIST of exeptions to ROA and roles where CRB checks are applicable? I must say some of the categories are pretty unbelievable so I am not at all surprised that the provisions are being scaled back!

Not being rude but is there a particular reason why you are not happy at the prospect of a CRB? This could be a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't!

well I do have a spent conviction which I am worried will exclude me from the post ( I was convicted neary 10 years ago) but worked in the same field ever since. i made ONE mistake. I was very naive back then.

I have checked the list of exceptions, and the exception which concerns me is the part relating to those which requires access to databases under section 12 of the children act . This role does involve the use of a database, but its not a national database, and children form part of the database so its not an exclusive childrens database.

for example, say a database which holds details of households. But the application form states "I hereby give my consent for the organisation to undertake whatever checks it may deem necessary, in connection with my application"

Does this include CRB, should it not state CRB checks are required more explicitly?

Edited by mij786
addiitona notes

Sorry - I am not familiar with the precise requirements, but having a quick skim through S.12 it does not seem to be specific on the nature of databases - it does not seem to require that databases are 'national' or need to be wholly comprised of childrens' details in order to fall within the Act.

CRB checks come up fairly regularly on this Forum, and I don't think that anybody views them without a certain degree of suspicion as few can tell whether a conviction will automatically exempt one from a job requiring disclosure. I guess that if you are in any doubt it may be wise to ask the question before applying, and whether it will exclude you from the post. If the conviction was for something which would not cause you to be any greater risk to vulnerable people, then most organisations would probably tell you that you may well be OK.

Problem is that if you start asking questions as to exactly what background checks they will carry out, then you will be creating doubts from the start.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Lots of organisations do background checks on staff - not sure how though.

With regards to CRB checks, nothing is considered "spent". However, it is not for the CRB to say you cannot be employed. They provide the info and it is for the employer to decide if you are morally fit for the post. A conviction doesn't necessary bar you from a job.

Stop worrying too much and go for the job and best of luck.

Just admit and disclose everything, they think more of people for their honesty, they will find out anyway, as if they require a CRB for the job then they require one. just about everyone has done something done which may have contravened law at some point in life.

good luck.

oh p.s. i stole a bar of chocolate when i was an unruly teenager and yes its still on my record after nearly 25 years,

Ive still gotta explain the situation :rolleyes:.