Being harrassed by MacKenzie Hall

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This bunch of sharks got in touch with me last year over an old student loan debt. Did some research and concluded that as I had a 1995 loan agreement and that I had not made a payment or even had any contact with anyone for about 10 years regarding it it would be statute barred.

I had a telephone conversation with one of their agents and told him such, he said I owed the Govenment money so there was no way out of it.

I sent them the Statute Barred letter and awaited a response. I had heard nothing after a couple of months at which point I moved home.

Within two weeks of moving into my new home I had an enquiry letter from them (god knows how they got my new address so fast). I decided to ignore it as I was too busy to deal with them.

Today whilst at work my direct line rang, it was a BT voice text message from them asking me to call quoting a reference. I can't even imagine how they got hold of my direct number at work or even know who I work for. I haven't ever given them this info and they don't seem to have my mobile number (yet!).

I can't have them calling me at work, they never responded to my statute barred letter and seem to be relentlessly pursuing me.

I'm going to send them the statute barred letter again and tell them in no uncertain terms that the only correspondence I expect from them is a letter confirming that fact otherwise I'll sue for harrassment. The letters I got at my old address were awful, saying things like they were going to freeze my bank account etc (something perculiar to Scottish Law, not even sure if it could be done to someone in England?).

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Edited by matthulme

Absolutely. Is it still Alan Stewart who's dealing with this?

I'd also contact the OFT, who won't take the case up individually as such, but just to put another nail in MH's coffin when it comes time to renew their trading licence.

They had their Consumer Credit licence renewed last year but only after a sap and a warning over their handling of disputed debts. This would appear to give you more than enough reason to complain to theOFT and Trading Standards about their behaviour. Send them a short note telling them not to call you again and that any contact must be in writing only. Also ask them for their complaints procedure. failing to deal with your complaint (or failing to send you details) means you can complain to the Financial Services Ombudsma. This gives the FOS something to do and will tie up MHall in costly paperwork. Its what we pay taxes for.

Thanks for your help. I got an email back from Alan Stewart, need to gather some more info for him. Unfortunately I didn't send my SB letter recorded so have no proof. Will not make that mistake again.

What I am really curious about is how the hell they got my direct number at work? I would love to know, could be a DPA issue, the only financial type institutions who have it are Wage Day Advance and Halifax.

The address issue is easily solved, it is easy enough to trace people who move, especially if they make use of the Royal Mails 'redirect' service, they then inform all the credit reference agencies, aswell as any DCA's or interested parties keen to track your whereabouts.

If you drive, also DVLA and DCA's have a shared database so they will find you that way.

As for ringing you at work, talk about cut your nose off to spite your face, how the hell do these idiots expect you to pay them if they in turn get you the sack from your job for harassing you at work!

Which by the way if it happens, will cost them very dear in a damages claim..:D

OFT/TS Via Consumer Direct

One to these guys for them ignoring the communications act; Ofcom

Communications Act 2003 (c. 21)

Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (c. 40)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!