David Cameron has vowed to ABOLISH powers of bailiffs to enter homes !!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately most of the laws passed or amended over the past decade or so have been done by the use of a statutory instrument which has meant there has been no need for any debate or effective vote.

Without getting on any political bandwagon at all this has been why the Labour Govt has passed umpteem laws many of which are poorly executed or have had unintended consequences.

Hopefully Cameron will at least stick to that specific pledge notwithstanding all the rest!

It's not a "pledge", it's a "vow". You m ight think it makes no difference, but it does. "pledge" in politics means that it is a solemn undertaking that something WILL be made to happen. Him "vowing" to do something means he will "try as hard as he can" to make it happen.

Like I said earlier, if it's not in the manifesto, don't hold your breath. :-(

It's not a "pledge", it's a "vow". You m ight think it makes no difference, but it does. "pledge" in politics means that it is a solemn undertaking that something WILL be made to happen. Him "vowing" to do something means he will "try as hard as he can" to make it happen.

Like I said earlier, if it's not in the manifesto, don't hold your breath. :-(

My online dictionary states as follows:

–noun

1. a solemn promise, pledge, or personal commitment: marriage vows; a vow of secrecy.

2. a solemn promise made to a deity or saint committing oneself to an act, service, or condition.

3. a solemn or earnest declaration.

The BIG catch is. They won't need to have bailiffs, because they will introduce laws to make other forms of recovery more accessible. Easier ways of taking debts from wages and benefits, seizing your car etc.

Remember that some of the Tories supporters own some of the Debt collection companies via private equity. These are some of the people that have funded their election campaign.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The BIG catch is. They won't need to have bailiffs, because they will introduce laws to make other forms of recovery more accessible. Easier ways of taking debts from wages and benefits, seizing your car etc.

Remember that some of the Tories supporters own some of the Debt collection companies via private equity. These are some of the people that have funded their election campaign.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if my cynicism were to be proven misdirected, I really would. But as unclebulgaria points out, their vested interests does not mesh with what's being touted here. :-(

Since there is little doubt the Tories will get in, I think we'll find out soon enough... :-|

i wouldnt applaud his initiative UNTIL he tells you what powers he is going to give them in its place!

He doesn't need to he only has to repeal those introduced by labour & which are a draconian assault on our civil liberties then we revert to the original status quo ........simples

As for politicians of all colours wheres Guy Fawkes when you need him? Rather than burn him on Nov 5th we should consider him a hero & burn an effigy of a politician instead ..... Blair would be my burning politician of choice

As for politicians of all colours wheres Guy Fawkes when you need him? Rather than burn him on Nov 5th we should consider him a hero & burn an effigy of a politician instead ..... Blair would be my burning politician of choice

Mine too....

We also have to thank his wife (Cherie) for the part that SHE has played in the Human Rights Act.

It was CB ( as a Barrister) who started Matrix Chambers...the largest legal Chambers dealing with Human Rights Claims.....

Mine too....

We also have to thank his wife (Cherie) for the part that SHE has played in the Human Rights Act.

It was CB ( as a Barrister) who started Matrix Chambers...the largest legal Chambers dealing with Human Rights Claims.....

I'm sorry but I'm not one who's going to abuse the introduction of the HRA as without it this government would be able even more to ride roughshod over us & the fact that it's been misinterpreted by some courts is regrettable

Remember it was GB who introduced the concept that humans had rights a concept which together with Magna Carta was to see the Bill of Rights both here & America & on which the American Constitution is based

It was Thomas Paine a nice Thetford lad who's postulations "The Rights of Man" (1791) partly resulted in the American revolution in which he participated after traveling to there

Its had a bad press Booky .......... accept when it stops the demagogues in government from suppressing our civil rights further

As a result of the HRA we now know that this country promotes & facilitates torture in secret prisons around the world.

We now know that British citizens or residents can disappear only to be found months or even years later in a foreign country where torture is widespread

And that's a bad thing how? :-?

ok, we're moving away from bailiffs now and onto something else, but I am on a roll now.

I am sick and tired of people using the words "human rights" as if it were an insult. I am sick and tired of people who have the LUXURY of being able to criticise, vote, rail, and lampoon the leaders of their countries, treating Human Rights with contempt or an excess of "political correctness".

People have been tortured, vilified and have died and STILL DO, in many countries just to gain a tiny percentage of those human rights we so glibly derile. In far too many places, human rights are NOT a right, they are a privilege, and one which is often won in blood and tears.

From Ms. Pankhurst to Pablo Neruda, from Alexandros Panagoulis to Joe Hill and so many, too many more. FFS, show some respect!!! :mad:

Far from me to belittle any of the work that gets done on here, but at least we have the luxury, yes, luxury, to only have to worry about losing our possessions to a bailiff and even that we can fight. There are places where you'd still get thrown in jail, or get beaten and worse for a lot less than that. Think on that, please.

*off soapbox*

Guest Happy Contrails

I'll be a cynic too, believe it when I see it. Until then, insert hands in dryer in gents toilet to listen to a 30 second speech from a party leader of your choice.

The abuses of the HRA are in my opinion, orchestrated attacks upon it.

A while back we saw Sainsbury's, a billion pound enterprise cave in to a muslim (not the issue) checkout worker's demands not to serve alcohol to customers. They didn't crush the claim with their infinite legal resources, nor did they say "no way sunshine - we'll take the consequences or our business is doomed".

The reason? Salisbury's, and to be fair most of the other supermarkets treat their staff like Victorian mill workers. The HRA limits this behavior and costs them millions. So they pick the most contentious, Daily Mail worthy story possible and let it run. A muslim and the HRA - what right wing pundit could resist that one?

Similarly, we see the old "rapist in prison gets a play station - its his human rights" story. No accident. Right wing judges playing you like a fiddle, half the time it's actualy our prison regulations being enforced via the HRA, but the right wing press (owned by billionaires who want another billion at the expense of our rights) to think otherwise.

Its the same crowd who want us out of europe, telling us they demand straight bananas ect, total lies! Guess what - they never cared about the shape of bananas, its that irritating obligation not to treat you like a dog then fire you without notice when they are finished with you.

Edited by Thegreenpimpernel
Sorry i'm off on one again......

Indeed, another example was the "man can't be deported because he has a cat" lie of recent times:

Tabloid Watch: Mail and Sunday Telegraph: cat-alysts for more anti-immigration feeling

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Hey - GP. Don't make the insular assumption that those that want us out of Europe (I never voted for it in 1976) are somehow threats to life as you know it.

I do remember life before Europe and it was fine, however I fight for human rights every day. Human rights is common sense and decency and not a 'Europe' thing, in the same way that we can trade with Pablo, Jean, and Herman without having to be part of a club that enforces ideals that we don't agree with.

At no time was the public told that this country would lose its national identity and 1300 years of history to uphold the beliefs of others in countries we may never visit.

• Haha 1