• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Car repo Dunctons ****WON****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We took a car on hire purchase from Duncton No 1 in September 2008. The car was £10500, and we paid £2500 deposit.

We then put 12 months tax on the car and had a dog guard fitted.

The first payment of £350 didnt go thru as their bank lost the paperwork

The second payment didnt go thru as we only had enough money in the account for one payment and they tried to take 2 payments. Stupidly, we didnt make the payment manually

We flew off on holiday on 13th december 2008, Dunctons sent a termination notice to us on 12th december, which arrived when we were away. They then turned up and took the car on the back of a recovery vehicle, from our drive, also whilst we were on holiday

A friend of ours was watching the house, he is a policeman, reported the car as stolen for us and made some enquiries. he traced the car to the recovery firm, and consequently, rang us while we were on holiday to tell us what had happened

I rang Dunctons and offered to make payment by debit card of all the arrears, to which it was declined. i was told i would have to pay £16800 in order to get the vehicle back

I asked about my belongings (sat nav, tax, dog guard, hard hat, training workbooks, binoculars, kids car seat) and was told I have to go to Haydock to get them. I have subsequently been told there were no personal belongings in the car, despite the paperwork from the recovery co detailing bags, hard hat and car seat etc

Dunctons are now taking us to court, (my husband and I) for £8.5K The hearing is scheduled for June, fast track, unless we made an offer out of court now

However, on the paperwork, Dunctons are unable to find a copy of the agreement with both my husbands and my signature on it, only an agreement with mine on, so the case against my husband has been dropped and they are chasing me for the whole amount, despite the agreement being in both names

I dont remember receiving the defualt notice, however Dunctons have provided a copy of the one they sent

They did speak to my husband at work about the arrears, but never to me

Do I have any defence ?

Any advice I give, is given with the best intention of helping. I am not legally trained, so it is probably best to just ignore me;)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should also have mentioned the car has been sold at auction for £8800

Thanks

Any advice I give, is given with the best intention of helping. I am not legally trained, so it is probably best to just ignore me;)

Hi

My husband and I entered in to a hire purchase agreement in September 2008 for a car

Their bank lost the paperwork for the first direct debit,

and we didnt have the money in the bank for the second payment.

they terminated the agreement and repossessed the car (80 days after we took delivery of the vehicle)

whilst we were out of the country (we hadnt received the termination notice before we went either)

Despite us offering to pay all arrears, they refused, sold the car, and then took us to court for £8.5K (all interest charges)

They have a copy of the consumer credit act agreement,

made out to me and hubby,

but only my signature on.

They acknowledge they dont have an agreement with both signatures on.

Therefore they have dropped the case against my husband and taking me to court for the whole amount

Can I do anything to defend this ?

• 2 weeks later...

HI

Yes, the car was repo'd in December 2008, and is scheduled for trial in June 2010. Initially it was against both me and my husband, now it is just against me.

Ive filed a defence which reads:-

1. The defendants admit that they signed the document refered to in the particularsof claim

2. The defendants deny the document constitutes a valid agreement enforceable by the claimant

3. The document purports to be an agreement redulated by the CCA and governed by the CCR 1983

4. The document was not properly executed contrary to Section 61 (1) of the act in that the document was not signed by the claimant contrary to section 61 (1) (a) therefore the agreement could only be enforced by order of the court

5. In breach of section 65 (a) of the act, the claimant sought to enforce the agreement without an order of the court and repossed the vehicle referred to in the particulars of the claim

6. If the claimant were entitled to enforece the agreement without an order of the court, the agreement was not enforceable by the claimant in that contrary to section 87 (1) of the act, the claimant failed to serve on the defendant a default notice. In the alternative contrary to section 88 of the act and regulation 2 (5) of the regs the statement in the default notice which are required to be in a form specified in a schedule to the regs were not afforded more prominence than other lettering in the notice and where words were shown in capital letters and underlined in the schedule to the regs, they were not afforded even more prominence in the default notice

7. Further and or in the alternative the defendants submit that despite the fact the claimants were not entitled to enfore the agreement the claimant repossessed the vehicle refered to in the particulars of claim prom premises belonging to the defendant without the defendants consent in breach of section 92 (1) of the act

8. By reason of the above breaches of the act and the regulations the claimant is not entitled to the sum claimed

The response was that they acknowledge they have a signed agreement with just my signature on it, so the claim is now against just me, not me and my husband.

Nothing at all in writing from the auction or the repo agents

Dunctons have submitted a list of correspondance made to us. They made phone calls to my husband x 3, and sent out a defualt notice to us, and then a temination notice which was not received as we were not in the country.

I am about to submit documents to the court and dunctons which i will use as my defence, these include a holiday invoice to proove i wasnt in the country, evidence of personal belongings in the car, but other than that i am not sure what else to do, apart from a witness statement from my husband saying he dealt with dunctons and i wasnt aware we had missed 2 payments

As far as I can make out, I did miss 2 payments and I should have checked the bank to see if payments had gone out However, they breached the agreement

Section 61 (1) agreement not executed properly

Section 65 (1) repossessed incorrectly

Section 87 (1) default notice didnt have prominent lettering

Section 92 (1) trespass on privae property to take vehicle

Also breached Section 10 Financial Services regs 2004 as they didnt give me 14 days notice to cancel (distance selling regs )

im out of my depth, and dont know what to do from here

I dont have a court date yet, but defence has been filed

I do have a copy of the agreement. it has been signed by me, and them. the space where husbands signature should be is blank

There was never a court order made for the repossession. They claim a business was run from the property, so they could take it. Ive challenged them on this, and denied any business has been run from the property, and they said the burden of proof is on me. All I can do is offer a photograph of the front of my house, which is just a normal 3 bed detached house

They have disclosed which documents they are relying on, some of which i dont have copies, so i have sent a letter today asking for relevnt copies

I also suggested a date of 31st May to exchange witness statements, as this has still not been done. The only statement I am going to have is mine, and my husbands. I will claim that all communication made by telepone was done ith him, and he didnt tell me about it, which he will confirm.

Also I will state I never received the defualt notice, although they have a copy of the one they supposidly sent, and the termination notice arrived when i was out of the country, and a copy of the holiday booking can confirm this

am i missing anything >

Thankyou for posting the relevant links too Martin x

can anyone please please help x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I am in court in July as the defendant, as Dunctons took my car, sold it, and are now chasing me for interest for nearly £9K. I have a couple of questions, and would be really grateful if someone could clarify this for me. (Less than 1/3rd was paid on the agreement)

1. There were 2 defendants, me and my husband. They now acknowledge they dont have my husbands signature on the CCA agreement and have dropped the case against him, and are proceeding against me alone. Their communication list shows they only ever spoke to my husband with regard to arrears. Will this help me ?

2. The termination notice arrived whilst I was on holiday. Ive provided a holiday invoice as evidence. Will this help ?

3. the car was then taken from my driveway whilst I was on holiday. (7 days after the termnation notice was sent) The entry on their communications list shows that it was taken from my driveway, which I have shown as evidence. However on their same communications list, they have removed the entry to show it was taken from a driveway. Are they allowed to take it from my drive while I am not there ?

4. My possessions were in the car. The repo note shows personal possessions in the car, and their communication list shows i made a call about my belongings 3 days after they took the car but my stuff hs never been returned

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to give me

HI wannabe

Yes, on Dunctons own cummunications list it states '18/12/08 Jim from peak collections advises car is on driveway.... curtains closed, looks like the owners are on holiday'

In their witness statement they say 'car was repossessed on 18/12/08, no keys)

I have submitted a holiday invoice from virgin holidays showing I was on holiday from13th december until 4th january.

The repo collection note shows there was belongings in the vehicle

Dunctons communiations list shows I made a call to them on 22nd december about the possessions in my car

Dunctons communications list shows that they e mailed peak collections regarding th goods in my car

A letter from Dunctons to me dated 9th January states my belongings are at Peak Collections in Haydock if I would like to go and collect them

thanks for your assistance x

I hope your right !

There was a space in the original agreement for us both to sign, however, husband didnt. therefore, they have dropped the case against him, and continued against me alone.

Will post on my original thread thanks x

I was reading your thread this morning with interest. you certainly have your wits about you Good Luck - although you wont need it !

1. There were 2 defendants, me and my husband. They now acknowledge they dont have my husbands signature on the CCA agreement and have dropped the case against him, and are proceeding against me alone. Their communication list shows they only ever spoke to my husband with regard to arrears. Will this help me ?

2. The termination notice arrived whilst I was on holiday. Ive provided a holiday invoice as evidence. Will this help ?

3. the car was then taken from my driveway whilst I was on holiday. (7 days after the termnation notice was sent) The entry on their communications list shows that it was taken from my driveway, which I have shown as evidence. However on their same communications list, they have removed the entry to show it was taken from a driveway. Are they allowed to take it from my drive while I am not there ?

4. My possessions were in the car. The repo note shows personal possessions in the car, and their communication list shows i made a call about my belongings 3 days after they took the car but my stuff hs never been returned

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to give me x

thankyou for merging and your assistance so far, can anyone help with the questions earlier please x

Thanks everyone for your help. Will keep you informed and good luck on your individual claims too.

If, (and I know it is a big IF) I win, can I claim any costs back for my time, and the time I have had to take off work etc

GOOD GOD YES!!!!!!

I'm being very positive here and I'm really, really hoping my individual claim pans out the way I want it to. IF IT DOES I'd be over the moon to let you use the final decision of my claim in your defence :grin:

Thanks wanna, your as helpful as ever ! I hope your claim pans out well too after all the work you have put in to it,

Im just waiting for a court bundle now, and i think we are scheduled for either the 8th or 9th of July for trial

If things went my way on the day, Would I just ask for costs then. (Ive already submitted a piece of paper saying that loss of deposit and personal belongings has cost me in excess of £3K)

I cant imagine they would discontinue or settle out of court at this late stage, as there was a telephone conference/directions hearing with the judge last week, scheduling trial and asking them to submit their court bundle.

Also, I realised, that in their statement, they made ref to the CCA agreement I signed being 3 pages long, and on the third page it allegedly states 'if contract terminated i am liable for all costs and interest payable in full, as if the agreement had run full term

My copy of the CCA agreement is only 2 pages long, the CCA agreement given to me under the sar request is only 2 pages long, and the agreement submitted with their statement as evidence is only 2 pages long, all having my signature on the first page, and my initials on the second page.

At the hearing last week I pointed out to the judge that I only had 2 pages, so he gave them 7 days to submit page 3

I am 100% certain there has never been a page 3, hence i have never agreed to pay all the money should the contract be terminated

Have they submitted page 3 yet???? When is the last date they've got to submit it?? If they don't file on time you have options to force them to comply :)

On the contrary, most companies that settle or discontinue do so at the very last minute. They need to push you and their luck as far as possible before they fold in the vain hope that you'll get scared and give in!

You'll need to prepare a Statement of Costs Summary Assessment to take with you on the day so you're prepared and you know what to ask for.

Page three is due to be with me before Thursday this week

Can you help me with a Statement of Costs summary assessment ? Is there a template I can use ?

I am waiting for a court bundle ? what will this likely to consist of ! I feel I still have a load of reading to get thru to manage this !

P.S. I see that they're relying on the terms of the CCA for their case, have they answered any of the points you raised in your defence though???

They say the default notice was sent and is compliant. (However, still no default on my credit file at all, and I dont recall receiving it.

about the car being taken from my drive - the burden of proof lies with me on this matter (going to use their paperwork which states it was on the drive)

Their witness statement says they made numerous phone calls to defendant 1 (who is my husband and they have now dropped the case against)

If they DO decide to drop the case against me, can I still claim costs lol :oops:

thanks again Wanna, you help is invaluable

Last Thursday at the directions hearing I told the judge that I was missing page 3 of the agreement (This is the part that allegedly states if the agreement is teminated, I will pay the creditor all the interest and charges, totally £8K)

Bearing in mind, I only have 2 pages from the start, the SAR provided 2 pages, and in their evidence, they present 2 pages, but mention 3 pages in their witness statement, and in my evidence i show 2 pages.

Judge asked them to send me a copy of page 3 within 7 days. that was last thursday

Just been home to check the post, still no Page 3 in the post

Now this file was sat in front of Dunctons last Thursday, when the judge asked her to send me a copy within 7 days. Why on earth didnt she copy it immediately ? Im speculating that Page 3 doesnt exist

On the agreement, Page one, I have signed, and Page 2 I have initialled to confirm I have read it, so I expect Page 3 to have my initials on too, if and when it is presented.

Should i inform the court that I still havent had it ?

I'd wait til tomorrow or even friday just to be sure. I'll have a look into this but I think if they fail to comply with court orders you can take it further, and the court can instruct them to comply or have their case struck out. I will check though :)

Dont worry, thanks anyway. I think I can apply for an unless order, but by the time it is filed and actioned, we will probably be past the actual trial date, so its a bit pointless :)

Hi Markie, thanks for your advice. what damages could i claim for the repo from drive ? Would it just be a punitive amount ?

I definately need to draw attention to the missing page 3, Im hoping it doesnt turn up at all. but even if it does, i can state it has been missing from my original contract, and the sar request. Thats also the important page that states i will pay loads of money if the agreement is terminated

I get the impression your are experienced in court ? Is this your job ?

RCL

Who is the termination notice addressed to, you alone or both of you. Haydock are not the smartest operators when it comes to paperwork and default notices.

one sent to me and another sent to hubby

Page 3 of the contract turned up today too

never mind, i still have the fact that they took it from the drive, that i didnt receive the termination notice, and potentially the dn is dodgy, and there was no communication with me when they took it, however im not as confident as i was :(

If they had only sent a notice to your hubby and are suing you then they would be in some difficulty.

thanks anyway, was worth a try x

What I would stress to the Court when you show the log and the "altered" log, is how can the Court trust any documentation that the Claimant has produced given the clear alteration of one of the key parts. Remember the Court will decide on the balance of probabilities, not beyond reasonable doubt. You'll be fine I'm sure!

Thankyou mm, I will definately do that.

Should I be receiving my court bundle soon (trial date is 2 weeks on thursday)

wanna - am i right in thinking from your thread that if I win, I can claim my costs, the money i have paid under the agreement and the cost of the car