Car Possible Write Off ??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am new to all this and am just looking for info really....

Had an accident which resulted in me ending up with a dent in drivers door, a loss of a wheel arch trim. My insurance company looked at this and took photos and said that it was only worth £610, and the repairs were £800. It is a W reg pug 106 Quiksilver. I wasnt happy with this and they then upped it to £750. In the meantime the other party have admitted liability and are arranging for my car to be picked up this week. Am I likely to be looking at it being written off by them as well?? The car has only done 91k and ad's on autotrader etc have them going for £1500... if before it goes to them I can get it tidied up and cleaned will that "sway" their minds as to just repair it??

Bit confused by it all. if it helps, my insurance is with Quinn Direct and TP is Liverpool Victoria.

Many thanks

A car can be written off by insurers if the cost of repairs exceeds its current market value.

You have a few options, go through your own insurers and argue the valuation up by providing evidence of what similar models are selling for.

Ask your insurers for a cash in lieu of repairs settlement and then see if you can get parts / labour done cheaper (scrap yard etc)

Go through the third party insurers and see what they value it at, if they say the same then they will pay you cash anyway and leave you with the salvage to repair / dispose of. (The other insurers may well value it differently)

Mossy

Hang on a minute, am I right in thinking from your post that the car has been repaired as you use the term; 'the repairs WERE £800' or do you mean that was the estimate?

Assuming its the latter, then I would be very surprised if they will repair a car when the cost of the repair is likely to be more than the trade value of the car which I would suggest would be around £800 anyway. I doubt if they will go by the full retail price and even if you tided it up, with respect I very much doubt if you would get £1500 with 91k on the clock. You may be lucky and get somewhere in between.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

That was the estimate from my insurance company.. although they wouldnt give me the breakdown of what these where.. as I had obtained a quote for around £500. It is after all only a dent and plastic arch lol....

Its a shame considering there isnt anything actually wrong with the car other than a big dent that it can be written off... :(

You are better off going through the Other Party's insurance as they will normally allow a higher value for repair than your own insurer. It's best to take it to where they suggest for repairs yourself for an estimate and get it agreed that it will be repaired before leaving it there. I've heard stories about cars disappearing for scrap without the owners consent because the insurance company 'decided' it wasn't worth repairing. I never let my car out of my sight in this situation. Had two prangs and both times the other party's insurance paid for repairs after I took it myself to their recommended repairer for an estimate. Good luck !