Lodger backed out night before move, can I charge?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, and firstly hi to everyone. I've been a long time lurker, but this is my first post. So hello!

I decided to rent out my spare room following a split with my partner last year. A lady visited, we got on, so she said she'd take the room and a move in date was agreed. This date had been agreed for two weeks - I'd even arranged to get a van and help her move - despite her living 80 miles away.

Anyway - last night, the day before she was due to move in, she informed me that she'd found somewhere else. I was obviously quite annoyed - as I'd arranged to leave work early, hire a van, not to mention the now shortfall in income and extra hassle of going out on finding another lodger.

What I want to know is, am I within my rights - morally and legally - to take a week's worth of money out of the advance rent payment she's made to me?

It's not on vindictive grounds - as her not moving in has left me in a bit of a short term financial hole, as obviously I was expecting her full rental payment.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks all! Emm

Did she sign any contract with yourself?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

My interpretation of the Housing Act 1925 is that until someone moves in, then either party can back out of any tenancy that is created by parol (oral contract).

It might be that you have a valid argument (moral or legal, I don't know) that she pay the van hire.

This comes down to standard contract law.

If a contract was breached, oral or not, you are entitled to your out of pocket expenses.

However, it is doubtful that a contract was established in this case, due to the lack of acceptance of the contract by not moving in.

I would simply put this down to experience and move on.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Perhaps - yes.

As you may know contract law involves offer, consideration and acceptance.

This really depends upon whether the act of payment constitutes acceptance.

You can always simply contact her and advise that due to late cancellation you are out of pocket, and you will happily return the rent to her minus the out of pocket expenses. See what she says - she may be amenable.

Yes, thank you. That may be the best route; like I said, don't want to be vindictive - just want to be fair.

In general I'm often too easy going and helpful (hence the offer to help her move in) and it usually ends up in me being mugged off.

Thanks for the replies guys, this foray into being a live-in landlady is certainly an experience!

I agree that to be fair, she should reimburse - hopefully she will agree :)

Otherwise, you have the option of just doing it - chances are she will never sue.

Could a 'contract' have been established by the fact she paid the advance rent? An obvious act of intent?

Because no consideration was received in return for the advanced payment (ie. no tenancy was ever created), then the contract may not have been established.

I'd go with Mr Shed's recommendation. Negotiate your reasonable costs and see what happens.