Credit limit 'upped' with no notice - is this allowed

MikeBigg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

my daughter started university in October. Before she went she got herself a nice new phone contract with T-Mobile. £15 a month gave her enough minutes and texts to stay in touch with family, friends and most importantly, her boyfriend.

Towards the end of the first month away she received a text from T-Mobile saying she had exceeded her credit limit of £90 (hours on the phone to said boyfriend). When the bill came through she paid it.

When her next bill came through she was surprised to find it was about £200. She thought she was still under £90 because she hadn't received a text from T-Mobile. (I know and she now knows that a £90 bill is not clever when you planned on spending £15 in the beginning).

Anyway, she didn't get a reminder at £90, so she continued using the phone. They had upped her limit to £220 without letting her know.

My question is: are T-Mobile allowed to do this?

Is there anything that can be done to get some of this money back?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

The "Limit" is not for the customers protection, it's for t-mobiles protection against theft, so seeing that £90 is usual, they didn't contact her at that mark, and upped the level. I think the only comeback on T-Mobile is that they didn't explain properly what the "limit" actually meant. Your daughter can complain to them (follow their code of practice. It has worked well for me when I've complained about mobile service) T-Mobile Code of Practice

Bottom of page 5 is the complaints procedure. Keep everything in writing, ask for a solution that you think is fair and reasonable (keep in mind your daughter has used £200 worth of calls!), and ask them for a DEADLOCK letter if they are unwilling to provide this. A complaint to CISAS actually costs t-mobile money, so providing you are reasonable there is a good chance they will come to some arrangement with you.

Also worth mentioning, they will allow the contract to be upped but not lowered, so if she would be better on a higher package, maybe that is a consideration!

Finally a word of warning, if your daughter doesn't pay this on time, they may record this information on her credit file, which can sit there for 6 years, which can make it harder to get a mortgage when the time comes!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

As locutus notes, the limit is for the network to ensure the contract is being conducted correctly, as her payment history develops this limit increases or disappears. She cannot rely on it for anything, and it would be foolish to do so. As she made the calls she must have been aware there would be reckoning at some stage. If she prefers the self limiting nature to control phone usage, switch to PAYG, as you can only spend what you've pre-paid.

Also remind her unless she in insured, if her phone is stolen or misused, SHE pays for all the calls until she tells the network to shut off the handset.

• 2 weeks later...

Thaks Raymond.

She has gone to PAYG now. Interestingly, T-Mobile now a a rolling 30 day contract with a cap on bills. The cap being at the level of your monthly payment. When you have used your 300 (or whatever) minutes, you can't make any further calls. To my knowledge T-moble are the only company that do this.

Unfortunately, my daughter is so disgusted with T-Mobile, she won't go back to them.

I think all phone contracts should have a user settable credit limit or calling cap to protect them against their own stupidity and the implications of the theft of a handset.

Thanks again,

Mike