Tenants have abandoned-Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We were notified by a concerned neighbour that the property had been abandoned in early Jan. The tenants were not working and in receipt of HB. They had been introduced to us by a Local Authority Housing Scheme and been fast tracked through with HB which was being paid directly to me. The standard assured shorthold agreement was witnessed by Housing Officer and they were very much involved in this threeway process.

When we let then know they have abandoned the property, for reasons unknown, they say 'Oh Dear' well you can claim for a months rent. As the rent was oaid in arrears, that only takes us upto the day of discovering it was empty.

Have been in contact (mobile number that they sometimes chose to answer) they do ot want to move back in. No excuse why! Applying for HB on another house elsewhere. Not paid any bills, lots of CCJ's etc being delivered. They have returned the keys to the house and removed all personal effects including stealing fixtures and fittings.

They should be tied into contract for another 6 months. HB has stopped because they failed to turn upto an appointment. They are crashing at friends and relatives whilst they are waiting for the other house to be decorated.

So I feel I have done everything to satisy that they no longer wish to luve there, however with regards to being paid uptil the time they moved out. Is is likely I will get this HB backpaid?

Really infuriates me that people can do this and we the workers pick up the tab!

Any help and advise much appreciated.

I think you need to notch this one down to experience.

Without a forwarding address, which I doubt you will get, I cant see you being successful in getting any further monies I'm afraid.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I think you need to notch this one down to experience.

Without a forwarding address, which I doubt you will get, I cant see you being successful in getting any further monies I'm afraid.

I dont see us getting any monies from the ex-tenants. however i do feel that HB should pay, whats the law with that. They have been fully involved with these clients. Whilst they cannot be held resposible for their actions they can be accountable for the HB.

BTW I happen to know where they live, however I dont feel I will get blood from a stone.

Are the coucil involved not aiding and abetting by paying housing benefits for another property when they just abandoned this one?