Private Landlord Help!

Revvy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

Not sure if this is the right forum but would appreciate re-direction if required.

My partner moved into a private property some months ago. I moved in a few months later and my partner informed the landlord, however the landlord has never asked me to sign a lease agreement and consequently I have not done so. Am I, however, an implied tenant and therefore bound to the lease my partner has?

By all intents and purposes, if my partner and I split, I would not have a leg to stand on? Moreover, if my partner breaks the lease agreement, could I still be chased for the debt?

Many thanks

Revinder :o)

Unfortunately I am no expert on tenancies, especially under scotish law.

But I would think that if the tenancy was signed by your partner, then they would be responsible for any breach of that tenancy.

Even if your paartner informed the landlord of your presence there, there is no documentary evidence you lived there, unless you are on the electrol role or utility bills are sent to the address in your name.

So I can't see how you would be liable for a tenancy that was not in your name.

But I would wait to see if any other members post their comment before taking what I have said to be the legal aspect.

Not sure either, at the minute your partner is liable as said. Maybe just push the LL for an updated agreement? But I would wait and see what else is said first. Weve been renting privately and moved 10 times in 6 years and still get confused by some of it