Paid Bailiffs regarding unknown TVL default court judgement **RESOLVED**

Mackydees
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - I'm new to this site and have read with interest a lot of articles and am now wishing I'd found you guys previously - better late than never though!

My problem is this.

On Thursday morning I was awoken at 7 by two bailiffs proportion to be from the courts.

This was relating to last July a TV licensing guy came to my flat where I had a TV but no license was told I'd be summonsed if I didn't buy one - fairy nuff I thought. As if by magic the very next day my TV broke and I didn't replace it so didn't bother to buy a license.

I moved home in October last year and it turns out I was summonsed to court in November - something I knew nothing about. The bailiffs called at my old address before visiting me on Thursday and were given my current one hence their morning visit.

when they arrived at my door they told me they knew I'd moved but believed my mail had been forwarded to me (it hadn't incidentally) and were going to enter my property and remove goods to the value of the court order. I panicked because I didn't know that they couldn't push past me or break down the door, which is what they hinted that they would do, and paid the full balance via my credit card even though I hadn't let them in (again I wish I'd seen your site before this day!).

As soon as they went I got in touch with my credit card company and told them about it, they said they'd call me back.

At 9 I got in touch with the courts who said if I make I statutory statement they'd refund the fine as I shouldn't have had bailiffs called on me.

This I have done however have since been told that there is nothing they can do about the bailiff charges even though by their own admission I shouldn't have been put in this position as I knew nothing about any court action.

My credit card company came back and told me there is nothing they can do even though I feel that I have been intimidated out of money I shouldn't have to pay.

I've now come across something called a chargeback but can't find out much about it but apparently it's something to do with getting refunds back on your credit card.

Please somebody help me. I'm currently on incapacity benefit and can't afford this on my credit card!

It's just that if you had, it might complicate matters for you!

You say you made a statutory statement to the court which was rejected. What form did this take? It seems like you have been getting conflicting advice from the court:?

You could try applying to have the judgement set aside on the grounds that you knew nothing of the action, having changed address. If you were successful then that might lead to you having the fees refunded.

Elsinore

Sorry for the misunderstanding 

I made the stat dec and that was fine.

I was told that the money for the fine will be refunded but not the fees and that there was nothing that could be done about that.

The ironic thing is that when the TV license chappy came round to check for a TV license at my old address last year I didn't have a license but my parents, who were staying with me at the time, did have one my address was covered anyway!

• 1 month later...
Guest HUSBANDKHAN

get a late statutory dec filed in court and also tell your credit card company that you did not authorise the money to be deducted from your card. did you sign anything anything when the bailiffs were about ?

Thanks for that

- all has been resolved satisfactorily

- I received all money that I shelled out and am now in the process of complaining to the courts.

Apparently because they tried to serve a warrant on a different address they have acted unlawfully and I'm seeking compensation for distress.

• dx100uk changed the title to Paid Bailiffs regarding unknown TVL default court judgement **RESOLVED**