Action Against Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent an e-mail to them on 22/03/06 and dropped a copy into the branch manager 24/03/06

sum requested £1015 in charges over the last 4 years - i had all my statements so i didnt have to DPA them :)

wait and see their response now.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

• 2 weeks later...

received a letter from Halifax today regarding our charges being refunded - they have offered 50% and say that they are within the law to charge as they do. which is obviously incorrect.

take it or push for full amount?

MODERATED post moved .please keep to your original thread .This is for your benefit and the benefit of others following your case.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Hi folks,

I have just joined the forum and am making a (small) claim myself. In respect of the amount to accept, The Office of Fair Trading has just proposed a cap of £12 on penalties. Presumably interest would be on top of this. You might like to check the number of penalties they imposed in deciding what a reasonable refund would be.

This £12 is in effect an upper limit but I bet that it becomes the norm.

This was reported in the Money section of the daily Telegraph today (see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/04/08/cmcards08.xml&menuId=244&sSheet=/money/2006/04/08/ixperson.html - I hope)

Regards,

Felix

Hi Felix

Welcome to the site.

I think you may have misunderstood the statement by the OFT, or that you may be misinterpreting the £12 that was mentioned.

They have not capped the charges imposed, just stated that charges over this amount would be the point at which THEY are likely to become invloved in court actions. They have clearly stated that charges should be made only to cover the cost of the defaults, and that only a court can decide what figure is fair.

With this in mind, we should be reclaiming ALL charges, not simply amounts over £12

If you have started the process of reclaiming yourself, then please make a new thread with those details - it will help everyone to follow your case and give appropriate advice as needed.

John

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

have treid to phone them - but no response - so writing back today saying that we are declining their gracious offer - but would like the full amount returned.

• 1 month later...

100% refund offered and accepted :)

CONGRATULATIONS

This is great news, well done.

Would you please fill out our survey - HERE

(and don't forget we can only survive if we get donations!! cough cough)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

many congratulations

gawd i am so excited,

mmmmm new carpet for me i think lol

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks