No Water Since New Year :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently have no running water in my apartment. I haven't had any since the 1st. Some of my neighbours haven't had any since Christmas eve, but the situation is becoming unbearable. I've had to vacate my house and move to my parents house, which is miles away from work. I have no place else to stay. I don't have a flush, I cant wash clothes, I cant shower, but my letting agency are being unhelpful to the point of obstructive.

My letting agency are also the factors for the building. I called them in the morning and by early evening the water came back on, but had frozen a few hours later. I emailed them the following morning, called them all day (didnt answer) and they finally emailed me at 1658 on a Friday (they close at 5pm and dont open on a weekend)

Actually becoming really upset and stressed out. Do I need to pay rent for the time I've not been able to live in the property? It's completely uninhabitable.

If anyone could offer some answers or advice, I would be really grateful.

Pay your rent. If you don't then it puts you in the wrong.

Contact your local Environmental Housing Agency. Tell them about the water.

You can attempt, later to get compensation back from the Landlord for the times you could not occupy the property. You could start by figuring out your rent at the annual daily rate. Then once you've figured out how many days you were out of the property total that up and send them the bill asking them to pay within 14 days. If they don't then you could send another letter asking them to pay within 7 days or you will take the matter to court. If they again don't respond then you will have to file against them in court.

Make sure you keep a log of the days you couldn't live there, the reasons why, and the steps you and other tenants took to inform the LL about the issue concerning the pipe. Follow up all phone calls with emails or letters so you can show a written record of this as well.

Hi and thanks for getting back to me.

I've paid rent, but the situation remains the same. My agency have been telling me that they were waiting for an "update" regarding the repair.

I called the plumbers, to establish why it was taking so long and what "update"

The letting agency hadn't contacted the plumbers since last week!!! They were waiting for instruction from the landlord!!

Called the agency and they bluffed, with excuses. Apparently my water should be back on today (THANK GOD)

So fingers crossed.

If that water isn't back on today I would call the EH first thing tomorrow and tell them your situation. This is entirely unacceptable and you have been patient enough. Matters like this should be taken care of by the LL or the LA quickly. The excuses and the "waiting" is ludicrous.

There is also another option which will allow you to do repairs yourself and then deduct the cost from the rent, but this is going to take letter writing, some work, and more importantly time. And you've already spent enough time waiting on this so go to your EH!

Hello,

Thanks so much for your help. I'm waiting for our family lawyers to get back to me - I would like a legal opinion - if nothing more than, to have some ammunition for when the letting agency contact me again.

I will post my update later. Thank you so much.

c

Good luck to you. I hope you can get this sorted and secure some sort of monetary compensation for this.

A lawyer is sometimes good in getting a fire lit under people to get them moving.

Let us know how this ends... or even how it's going along the way! I'll be waiting to hear from you and I'm sure other will as well.