Cant pay at all, debtor's prison next?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just having a look back over your thread. I think the way the original loan was a bit suspect and you may be able to use the Unfair relationship angle.

BRB

Originally Posted by steve4kendal viewpost.gif

Well before I even look, I know that there was no questionnaire or debate about the PPI. I did ask about the PPI because I had the 2 jobs then, but was assured that it was OK and mandatatory. The Loan (a)rranger knew that she was committing my entire income, but said there was no choice about it. :evil:

Ok so not only was PPI mis-sold but the actual loan may have been irresponsibly lending also. Does the paperwork you have show this clearly?

S.

This as The shadow says shows irresponsible lending.

Edited by citizenB
merged posts

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ok, what can we do with the following.

You went into the branch in 2008 to discuss your overdraft.

You were persuaded to take out a loan in the sum of £10,500 which had a PPI policy of £4,500 .

Was this a £10,500 loan + £,4,500 PPI or

£6,000 loan + £4,500 PPI

The loan paid off the overdraft sum.

The loan arranger was aware of your circumstances ie Self employment but assured you that it was a suitable insurance and in any event, it was mandatory.

The loan arranger was also aware of your financial situation in that you had other debt commitments.

The loan arranger was aware that they were committing the whole of your disposable income to service the loan but said it was unavoidable.

In March 2009 your income took a downturn and in July 2009 , a £3,272.82 PPI rebate was refunded to the loan in respect of a complaint made by you. The PPI was then cancelled.

What was the nature of your complaint ? Did you mention mis selling at that time. eg, had you just discovered that the PPI would not cover you for unemployment.

However, as the PPI was obviously mis sold, then the entire amount of upfronted PPI should have been removed from the overall total of the loan/ppi and any payments already made to service the PPI part of the loan should have been refunded with any accrued interest. The loan should then have been restructured minus the PPI.

At no time were you advised that in the event of non payment, the bank would have at its disposal, the means to secure the loan upon your property.

You believe you were pressured into taking out this loan rather than the branch coming to an arrangement to repay the overdraft over a sensible period of time. How much of the overdraft incorporated monthly charges for over limit, returned debits etc.

Obviously it was in the bank's interest for you to have the loan + PPI as it would have generated far greater profits for them.

IMHO, I do not think there is any mileage in the Default notice UNLESS it was sent 2nd class post.

I think it was dated 3rd June 2009 and they sent you a formal demand on 23rd June. Although if you can advise the date of remedy on the Default notice.

IMHO, the bank was irresponsible in setting up the loan.

If you can go through the above, add any comments eg confirm that I have understood the situation accurately then perhaps we might be able to get something together for you by this afternoon.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi the CB thanks for taking time to reply. I dont have long to address all your points, just on a short break, but I did have a return phone call this morning from a local solicitor. He soon sussed that i wasnt up for 2 hours @ £190/hour, but was kind enough to spend more than 8 minutes listening to the tale of woe. His conclusion is that I have attend the strike out hearing next Weds and he thinks that "I am not wasting my time" in trying to counter their claim, possibly on the grounds that I would never have taken the loan with dud insurance, so I am on my own now, with all assistance gratefully received. :)

I think I probably need a title? for the defence which I will submit if the judge agrees to an adjournment. The solicitor on the phone today said he would probably not grant one if he thought I was merely stalling in order to look for a legal loophole.

Edited by steve4kendal
spellcheck

Bankers bonuses.

MPs expenses.

I can't think exactly why these come to mind.........

LOL

I know that doesn't help but may bring a smile:D

Hindsight is wonderful......

But now knowledge and advice are life savers:D

Have sent you a pm. Hope that helps.

BCOBS

Steve, don't have time to check all 192 posts, so please just reacap what info, whether SAR, CCA or whatever, you have requested from them and on what dates. You may also be able to argue they have been reticent, if not unlawful, with providing you with the data you need to support this defence.

To err is human: to completely mess up is my peculiar gift.

Steve, don't have time to check all 192 posts, so please just reacap what info, whether SAR, CCA or whatever, you have requested from them and on what dates. You may also be able to argue they have been reticent, if not unlawful, with providing you with the data you need to support this defence.

Edited by steve4kendal
spelling

You need to put together an historical narrative of their failure to provide you with the information you need to defend this claim. This should build to give the judge a compelling picture of how the claimant has been obstructive and unreasonable, not to mention clearly in breach of their lawful obligations. Can you post up your intended defence for comment?

To err is human: to completely mess up is my peculiar gift.

personally i dont think the judge will be too interested in the circumstances surrounding how you ended up with the loan- and will rule as to whether you have to pay it back or not

Your very appearance in court as a LIP is likely to persuade him that you aint as dumb as you portray in having your hands bent up your back to take out the loan without knowing what you were doing

(devils advocate)

personally i dont think the judge will be too interested in the circumstances surrounding how you ended up with the loan- and will rule as to whether you have to pay it back or not

Your very appearance in court as a LIP is likely to persuade him that you aint as dumb as you portray in having your hands bent up your back to take out the loan without knowing what you were doing

(devils advocate)

Point taken. So, do I not bother going to the strike out hearing and just wait for summary judgement?