Court Case : Bank Charges & OFT Determination

speedtrip
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am posting this here with a link to my thread because of the implications it may have:

It refers to a current account o/d and over 30% in bank charges (plus interest for last 18 months) and was stayed pending the HOL ruling. On the assumption that Reg 5 applies this would go back to court along lines of original defence/amended POC depending on what steer CAG come up with.

My concerns is about the fact that this is a current overdraft and the OFT determination and my bank have to demonstrate they have complied.

As you see from the thread, they have supplied bank statements, summarised bank charges, POC, but the only thing that gets near an agreement is the letters setting out o/d terms and my question : is this sufficient for there defence.

As I not seem many challenging overdrafts on current accounts I wanted to ensure that I didnt completely balls if for everyone else.

Hopefully my thread is clear but if not please feel free to ask questions:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/112285-allied-international-credit-14.html

Thanks

ST

RBS/Triton - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Moorcroft - Gone way No CCA

RBS/AIC - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Intrum - Gone Away No CCA

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Cahoot/Link - CCA in Dispute

Capital One - Settled

Lloyds Bank - Awaiting Outcome from Supreme Court Hearing.

Lloyds Credit Credit - Repayment Plan

bump

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

• 1 month later...

Update and request for help.

Like many others my disputed o/d and bank charges had been stayed.

I wrote to court and dropped in personally prior to Xmas requesting idefinite stay to allow communication from OFT and other Pressure Groups to be made public.

Nothing from court yet but i have received letter from the bank:

Quote:

"These legal proceedings came to a conclusion on 25/11/09 when the supreme court decided that as long as they are clearly set out the level of unplanned overdradft charges cannot be assessed for fairness under consumer fairness legislation known as UTCC."

"We understand your complaint is that the charges we made are penalties and/or unfair because you believe they are too high. The outcome of the legal proceedings means that the bank charges youve complained about are not penalties and the SC has also decided that the consumer fairness legislation means that the level of charge is not a reason for finding them to be unfair"

Complaint not upheld go to FOS etc

I am aware of other thread regarding "guidance, poc and help" coming but is there anything I can do in the meantime?

My position is my o/s o/d contains 30/40% of bank charges plus interest from date of stay until now and as currently unemployed no means to negotiate.

I am going to try and put something together "in preparation" for later but if anybodys already got an argument already outlined that be very helpful.

Regards

ST

RBS/Regal - Gone Away

Capital One - Settled

• 2 months later...

Speedtrip, have a look at the following thread.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/oft-test-case-updates/248268-sheriff-puts-bank-scotland.html

Whils the above is being held in the Scottish court system, a good outcome could be persuasive in the English courts.

There are plenty of people in the reclaims section who have prepared letters to have requests by banks to the courts for removal of listings halted.

Also have a look at the announcements in the Welcome forums in respect of bank charges.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D