• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Confused!!! Please help - Hardship claim query

BECKY X
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have already tried every approach to retrieve my unfair bank charges from 'abbey' but with no joy and am no in the court case waiting que as my case has been put on hold like all other bank charges claims.

My question is,

Since filing my case with the courts, i have become unemployed. Christmas is going to be a real struggle and i am behind with most of my household bills and rent.

Now that i am receving benefits, can i write to abbey again explain my situation and put through a hardship application even though i have already taken them to court? If they do make me an offer do i have to accept it? If i do accept the offer but it is not the full ammount, can i still claim for the remaining ammount?

If any of this was to happen, what would happen to my pending court case?

I have been searching this site and have found many answers but all with different opinions. Please can someone just explain simply what you think is best for me to do. Do i sit it out and wait for the final hearing or do i reclaim via the hardship process?

Thanks for your time all :)

ABBEY: Owed £1.140 :mad:

06/07/06 - Requested Statements

07/08/06 - Request For Repayment Letter Sent Totaling £1,140

29/08/06 - LBA Sent

15/09/06 - Received reply offering £570 as a final settlement

25/09/06 - Accepted offer but ONLY as a partial repayment, & notified them that i am still going to persue for the remainder of the money

01/10/06 - Set up court date

Hello,

I have already tried every approach to retrieve my unfair bank charges from 'abbey' but with no joy and am no in the court case waiting que as my case has been put on hold like all other bank charges claims.

My question is,

Since filing my case with the courts, i have become unemployed. Christmas is going to be a real struggle and i am behind with most of my household bills and rent.

Now that i am receving benefits, can i write to abbey again explain my situation and put through a hardship application even though i have already taken them to court?

You can and have always been able to ask the bank to look at any claim for financial hardship. Under BCOBS rules they have to look at it(formerly the banking code)

If they do make me an offer do i have to accept it?

If they make an offer and you reject it then they don't have to increase it and your only route is the Ombudsman who may not increase it.

If i do accept the offer but it is not the full ammount, can i still claim for the remaining ammount?

If they make an offer it will NOT be for the full amount and may only relate to a period where the hardship was becoming an issue, ie period of unemployment.

If any of this was to happen, what would happen to my pending court case?

Currently, it would be taken off any settlement if we get to that stage.

I have been searching this site and have found many answers but all with different opinions. Please can someone just explain simply what you think is best for me to do. Do i sit it out and wait for the final hearing or do i reclaim via the hardship process?

You have absolutely nothing to lose by asking the bank to look at your case as a financial hardship one. Remember, there is no FSA waiver anymore so that is out.

Thanks for your time all :)

see the above.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

• 2 months later...

I am hugely confused.com and would love someone to help - I did the whole bank claim on A&L and had my case put on hold as did we all. It was suggested to me ages ago that I may count as a hardship case, so I wrote to A&L and said I intended to claim on the grounds of hardship and they wrote back saying that as I didn't bank with them any more and therefore would not be incurring further charges from them I was not a hardship case. Can someone explain to me if this is correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Whats the latest with this thread,does the hardship rules still apply ? Any template letter links to maybe start a claim.My eyes a sore after reading so much and confusion now exists.Is this just a non starter until the whole court thing has been resolved or was the last judgement final and the gate now closed for any claims to be started ?

Can anyone link a idiots guide if there is still some mileage in starting a claim.:confused:

Every month the charges are getting worse with Abbey and its so annoying.

Thanks,

Ramjet

• 1 month later...

I understand that banks do still have to look at a hardship claim but if they offer you anything it will only be for while they thought you were hard up. You will need every bit of paper from them to prove that. You should have already asked for a CCA £1 and a SAR £10.

Even since the Manchester case, the one thing that has come out is the Unfairness of the charges being made, like a one-sided variation to the agreement. There are many cases of unfair banking and this seems to have come into the light now. I also understand that they don't look too favourably on template letters and you would do well to draft a letter up in your own words stating your case of unfairness, with evidence, and start your own thread. You can post up the draft and then see what people say before you post it.

Good Luck;)