• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Can't see light and the end of the tunnel

prideuk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5097 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

its capital one and its a credit card. So do you think, that as im am having to go for sequestration that they might reconsider the trust deed. I have already been paying my trust deed for 2 months now. What happens to that money?

Confused john

I'm not sure what to say to you ?

sequestration is a Scottish bankruptcy yes?

As you have already told us, you have no mortgaged property so you cant lose your home.You said you have nothing, so therefore you can't pay anything. Is it just the thought of standing in front of a judge that worries you?

It might be worthwhile having a look in the bankruptcies forum, as I have no knowledge where that is concerned.

The reason I ask about the the credit card is that you may well be able to challenge the enforceability of the cc by firstly requesting a copy of the CCA -have you read up on this yet? It seems to me that you are trying to take control of your financial situation but Capital One are not allowing you to do this and I don't think that they are playing by the rules.

I'll try and alert some more help for you but meanwhile, don't panic - nobody is going to turn up on your doorstep and kick you out onto the street, it really doesn't happen like that. meanwhile, don't answer the phone, you don't have to!

Hiya,

You say the trust deed was rejected yest you then state you have made 2 payments to the trust deed.

Can you clarify the exact status please?

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi, Thanks for you advice in advance. I signed the trust deed on 20th April and 20th may & 20th June they took 100 pounds from my account by standing order. Its been in the paper edinbough gazette. When I called them yesterday they said that more than 1 3rd of my creditors had refused the trust deed offer and therefore it has been rejected.. They then told me that I had now to go for sequestration and thay would send the forms. there told me all this would mean is that I would be free from responsibility of the creditors in 1 yr instead of the full 3yrs that the trust deed would run... I do have money to offer them but its ot enough.. after I had done my budget sheet I had 136 left for all my creditors but the trust deed said that I would only have to pay 100. oh I dont really know where im going with this anymore.. Maybe I should just go back to them all and make another offer. its so hard. but i can say that Mums are good at cheering you up... but she doesnt really understand that things are not like when she had credit problems yrs back..

Cheers anyway

john

ok understand now - you will not be able to retrieve the monies you have paid as this woul dhave been distributed to the creditors.

You only have 2 options

1 to make a new payment proposal but i cannot see this being accepted if the TD failed.

the other would be sequestration.

National Debtline Scotland | Debt Advice | Factsheet 01 Bankruptcy

the one good thing going the BK route is after 1 year you feel free again and learn tio live without credit which was a godsend for me

you may lose the car on HP - that would be a downfall - it's dependandt on it's value and how long hp is left and how much of your income this uses

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hi, thanks for the advice, the car is on a type of finance that means 2yrs time I can pay the remaining and the cars mine or I can give it back and owe nothing or i cantake out another car and start again I pay 182 a month and its value is around 5000 pounds. but its not mine to give away to the people who want the cash...Its the standing infront of the judge thing that I couldn't cope with.

John

Can I just ask John, did your trust deed company (I assume this is the same as a DMC in England?) just make one offer to the banks and then accept it when they said no?

Speaking personally, some of our creditors took several letters before they'd accept anything, but we did end up on plans with all of them whether they liked it or not as we simply couldn't afford more.

Logically looking at it, if the creditors accept your trust deed they get paid x amount for 3 years. If they force you into bankruptcy they get x amount for 1 year. Am I understanding that right? If so, they may be more willing to accept if you ask again and state that the majority of your creditors have accepted (which is true), and that they will lose money if they force you to go bankrupt.

It's only a thought, and obviously I'm not sure how things work in Scotland so it might not be possible. Also I got onto plans myself rather than using a company so I don't know if you can alter stuff or ask them to do what you want (as opposed to what they normally do)?

With your last point, I'd assume it's similar to here and they can't touch your stuff unless you ignore court orders and don't pay, and seeing as a court would only order you to pay what you can afford this wouldn't happen.

Keep your chin up though, it will get better.

Lexis :)

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Thank you, i've been up since 6am, worrying.. thanks for he lift. I dont have much in my life, but what I have i didnt want to lose.. I dont drink, dont go out, dont go on holidays... not much of a life eh!! Sometimes it just makes you want to give up. I cant help whats gone on in the passed. Im under the hospital for psoriorsis which is caused by stress... Which was getting a little better... but guess what? Just a few days of worry has brought all of it back. Sometimes i feel its just a waste or maybe i deserve all of it. Its really ahrd writing this with a tear on yur eye. Maybe one day it will all be gone.. sorry to go on but never seems to get any beter.

John

We've all been there, you're not alone even though it might feel like it, so never think that you are 'going on' as no-one else will think you are!

It may well be worth getting a letter from the hospital/your GP to state that stress exacerbates your condition which you could send to the creditors to try and get them to lay off.

In addition, definitely get a letter out to them about phone calls. If possible include a letter as above about stress. Tbh one letter probably won't stop calls, but if it doesn't you just send another out. Some of our creditors took 3 or 4 before they cut down, but we did reach the point where we now only have a few every so often. Even those ones are not exactly an issue as we are lucky enough to have a Trucall machine which screens them out, but last time I checked we'd had maybe a dozen this year.

If you haven't already, next time they phone up tell them you do not discuss financial matters over the phone and everything must be in writing. It is your right to request this and as long as you keep the lines of communication open (ie have an address they can write to) they must respect this. Personally I do go through security before I tell them this so that they have to put it in the notes, but I do simply tell them that I don't discuss it on the phone and that they will need to write. If they try to carry on with any sort of threat I very politely tell them I've said all I'm going to and that I will be hanging up now.

I just found that this method made me feel more in control that simply not answering the phone, as if I just left it I was a complete wreck every time it rang. This way I found I was more annoyed than worried which just worked better for me. And as long as you absolutely do not enter into a conversation with them you should be ok.

In addition to the phone letter, I'd be tempted to send off a doorstep caller one too. This simply tells them you do not grant them permission to visit you, and they should abide by it. I wrote this to all my creditors a couple of years ago when they all started threatening that they would turn up, and I kept a copy by the door so that if on the off-chance anyone did turn up I could just hand it to them and shut the door in their face. That letter is still sat somewhere among the shoes next to my front door, covered in dust and foot prints. I doubt I'll ever have to use it.

Please try not to worry too much about it (easy to say I know). To have your Psoriasis made worse by the stress they are causing is awful. It's a horrible thing to have to cope with anyway, and you should not have to cope with it getting worse because of idiots in the financial world.

If you need templates for any letters just shout. There is a library on here that you can use, and I think I'm safe in saying we will all have our own versions of those knocking about too. For my part my doorstep caller letter informs them I'll charge them for the use of my private footpath if they do dare to turn up;)

Lexis :)

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

you do not stand in from of a judge - all done via paperwork

they won't come and lift your stuff