• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bryan Carter Solicitors, CCJ paperwork!

m2000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same old, same old Carter. It means he has nothing and is trying it on one last time.

He still has not complied with the CPR request and this is his last ditch attempt before he discontinues. Expect him to discontinue once the track has been set - to try to avoid costs.

You may want to write and tell him in no uncertain terms that you would be delighted to pay if he can provide the requested paperwork which proves there is a recoverable and enforceable debt.

Tell him also you will be seeking costs if he discontinues after a track is set, as you believe he is abusing the judicial process by not responding to a legitimate request for information in support of the claim.

If the judge issues your draft orders, all well and good, but he probably can't comply anyway.

Consent orders my *rse.

• 4 weeks later...

Although I think item 6 was unnecessary - CPR18 and 31 DID apply until a track was assigned - it is a moot point as the directions state that the claimant must provide copies of documents to be relied on. However, unfortunately there is no reference to bringing the originals to the hearing, which is a bit of a bummer. Nor does it give you an opportunity to respond to the content of those documents.

However, knowing Carter as we do, the likelihood is still a discontinuance.

So they have until 10 March to provide the documents... roll on!

Yes, the court has ordered Carter to send you any documents he wishes to rely on in court. So if he comes up with nothing, his claim will fail. If he has nothing - as we suspect - his claim will fail, though he would probably discontinue first. The irritation is, now that a track has been assigned, he can discontinue with impunity as costs won't be available.

If he fails to comply with the court order he will be relying on a very vague set of PoCs and any witness statement he may construct. Without documents to back any statements, he will be fecked. But bear in mind he may simply submit a WS saying you owe the money, and hopes you fail to file your own WS.

However, there's not a lot we can do for you other than an embarrassed defence/WS. You have no information to go on, so you will have to request in your WS that you be allowed to respond further to the WS/documents provided by Carter, if any.

It is a strange order from the court. I still find point 6 a bit odd. Any judge should know that CPR applies up until the allocation of track, so a mistake has been made. Looks like the judge has fallen for something in Carter's AQ.

Can we step back a bit... what did Carter put in his AQ? Did he request any directions?

Re-reading the thread, I'm now amazed at the judge's order.

Did you say you would look at mediation? Or did Carter?

And have you had any response at all to the CCA request? If not, this will now need to be added to your WS, and you should be writing to Carter to put the alleged account into dispute. Although it sounds like a catalogue account (Arrow speciality), there is absolutely no indication so far of what the alleged debt is about.

Get the CCA request in quick then. Recorded.

Yes, they're off the hook a little otherwise...

You have the upper hand in that you offered mediation. They are on a sticky wicket. A bit Bangladesh, you might say.

(That will come back to haunt me in the next one-dayer, I bet...)

He has 12+2 days to respond, so there isn't time - but you can state that the request has gone in and ask that you can amend your defence as necessary on receipt of the documents (or non-receipt, which is much more likely).

I think you should also point out in your WS that the claimant should have complied with CPR as it was appropriate up until the point at which a track was assigned, and that you have been disadvantaged by the claimant's failure to respond to such a CRP reqeust.

In other words, politely tell the judge he was wrong.

CCA to Carter.

I'm not the best at a WS, but there are plenty who are. I'm better at spotting the minutiae! There's loads of excellent examples all over the forum, so don't worry - we'll get you one done in good time.

The only likelihood of a CCA not being relevant is if it's a phone contract or a current account.

If it's a credit card or catalogue account, a CCA request is appropriate. As it's Arrow, it's most likely a catalogue account.

Without looking back over the thread, I'm not sure if a 'prove it' letter isn't more appropriate if we can't go down the CPR route. But we're out of time anyway. A CCA request is only £1 and he can't ignore it.

(Well, he can and probably will. But the fact you have made a request will be in your WS.)

Carry on until you receive a notice of discontinuation. Call the court Monday to see if they have been informed - but yes, until Carter does it by the book, continue as if nowt has happened and prepare for court. Like you, he must follow the correct procedures. NOTE THAT HE HASN'T ACTUALLY DISCONTINUED - MERELY HE IS NO LONGER INVOLVED. THE CLAIM IS STILL LIVE WITH ARROW.

Now, re costs. A track has been allocated. It is my theory that Carter waited to discontinue until after the track was set, to avoid costs. I believe you should still go after costs as he has clearly wasted the court's, and your time, having been given ample notice to provide documents he wished to rely on in court. Think I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Will need some legal brain on the chances of doing this, we we did predict it - and I'm sure pt2537 has a little gem regarding this kind of situation somewhere. Will have a look for it.

And time to complain to the SRA and OFT.