Carpet / Floor Covering

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have lived in my apartment for 3 years and the carpet/laminate flooring (which was not new when I started renting) has started to look a aged/worn...who is responsible for this? Should the LL make a deduction to allow me to get it done? I'm mindful that if its something they don't want they'll charge me to put it back when i leave...how do i go about this?

The LL I think would not be responsible for replacing the flooring during tenancy unless the flooring became hazardous. Generally cosmetic wear and tear does not have any bearing on obliging the LL to replace the flooring. Others may have more to add regarding this as I am no expert, meerly someone who has recently done extensive research into tenant's rights and Landlord's obligations.

You do have a couple options. You could talk to the landlord and ask them to replace the flooring. They might be rather nice and agree.

If they don't agree you could then ask your LL if you can replace the flooring at your own expense (see if they might be willing to contribute even a portion of it). There are those LL's who will genrally agree if it's tasteful. My only word of warning regarding this is that if the LL agrees you get them to sign a statement saying that they agree. If you do this than at the end of tenancy if they try to claim that they did not authorize it you have proof that they consented to such and agreed.

Otherwise if you do make the changes without consulting the LL they can come back and charge you for damages. Essentially you could find yourself having to pay for a brand new floor all over again.

Floor coverings are subject to fair wear and tear. They should be left cleaned IF POSSIBLE. Threadbare carpets cannot be cleaned properly. Lino that is cracked or peeling also cannot be cleaned properly, so in both cases just clena the best you can and take extensive photographs before leaving.

Cost is not yours.