capquest statutory demand for a £260 debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that you can't issue bankruptcy proceedings for less than £750.00. I'm no expert but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise you exactly how to handle this.

Surely the courts must be reaching the point where they are getting sick of dealing with these SD's, do we think anything will be done?

capquest really have a death wish. Why they ever employed Barry Davies who already proved this tactic a costly mistake

Because they know the anaesthetised slug that is the OFT will take ages to stop them, and they think they can get away with it. In the meantime, for everyone that gets a dodgy SD set aside, many more will pay up.

The question we should be asking is why the regulators fail to take rapid, decisive action, and why Davies has not been held to account.

Your defence will be something along the lines of.

The alleged creditor has issued a demand for a sum which is under the threshold for a petition. (Currently £750 - Insolvency Act 1986)

I refer to:-

Jacob v Vockrodt [2007] EWHC 2403 (QB) when petitioning is an abuse of process that could involve the tort of malicious presentation of a bankruptcy petition.

The alleged creditor has committed an obvious abuse of the process and is misuising the Insolvency Service as a tool for debt collection.

In light of the defence, and facts above the defendant requests that this frivolous statutory demand is set aside as an unlawful and vexatious action.

In light of the upset and distress this has caused me I also request the judge pay my costs and make and indemnity award in my favour.

I refer to: -

Hammonds (a firm) v Pro-Fit USA Ltd [2007] EWHC 1998 (Ch)

In this case, Mr Justice Warren confirmed that it was usual for an indemnity award to be made:-

27 So far as disputed debts are concerned, the practice of the court is not to allow the insolvency regime to be used as a method of debt collection where there is a bona fide and substantial dispute as to the debt. Save in exceptional cases, the court will dismiss a petition based on such a debt (usually with an indemnity costs order against the petitioner).

In support of this case I refer to

Judge Boggis QC - RE AWAN - [2000] BPIR 241

'In my judgment, bankruptcy is one of the most serious forms of execution that can be brought against a debtor.

• Haha 1

Yes Yes and 100 times yes. Send a copy to OFT. This despicable low life company MUST surely have their licence removed soon. The garbage that is their directors need to be put well in their place. They know that what they're doing is unlawful, yet they carry on doing it. Why? Because they know that no-one in the OFT has the balls to do anything about it

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

You should also point out that the sihnatory of the SD used to work for another company whose name we are not allowed to mention but were also warned last year by the OFT for their use of SDs

• 1 year later...

Hi

Capquest have gone a little quiet now so think it is about time you reported them to the OFT if you haven’t done so already.

Please bear in mind that the template letter on the first page of this thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...=1#post3422496

may not be suitable for all and you will have to adapt it to your own circumstances I.E

You applied to get it set asidelink3.gif and CQ didn't turn up

You applied and CQ agreed to discontinue

You ignored and CQ did nothing

Today the OFT set out some new guidance and sending SD's as a debt collectionlink3.gif tool is now frowned upon.

If you want to read it, here's the link

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/con.../OFT664Rev.pdf

You can complain by email and the OFT will email you back a form to sign and post back to them for them to be able to add your complaint to their list.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/contactus;jses...1D83BF0004F6EA

I will be sending this post to every Cagger I have on my list so you may receive it again.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE