Car damaged whilst in for bodywork repairs

bottomburp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning.

Our car is 6 years old. When we bought it it was immaculate but during the time we have had it we have had two small accidents which we have not repaired as we did not want to claim on our insurance and did not want to be without a car during the repairs.

The accidents caused

- dent and scratching of wheel arch

- small dents in both offside doors

A few weeks ago someone reversed into the rear of our car whilst it was parked. We saw it happen, they accepted liability etc. We sent two quotes to their insurers and one was accepted.

Our car was in the garage for 5 days having the work done to the rear and, at our expense, the wheel arch was sorted. The dents on the doors are small but as we couldn't afford to get everything fixed. I have photos of the car showing those dents (barely visible).

When we were approaching the garage to collect the car we saw the repair man talking to his neighbour (also a garage repair) and looking at the off side of our car.

The long and the short of it is the car has been damaged again on the two offside doors, but this time deep dents and a scratch right through the paintwork. We pointed this out to the garage and they denied responsibility, saying the car had come in with this dent/scratch. This simply is not true.

Should we go to the insurers and tell them that the car has been damaged? Should we "have it out" with the garage? What can we do?

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

When the car arrived at the garage, what does the sheet say was damaged before they started? Do you have any photo's of the car on the day it went in?

I upset garages when I walk around with my camcorder as I hand over the keys.

When the car arrived at the garage, what does the sheet say was damaged before they started? Do you have any photo's of the car on the day it went in?

I upset garages when I walk around with my camcorder as I hand over the keys.

There is no sheet saying what condition it was in. I have no photos taken that day and I totally understand why people would take their camcorder to the garage... another lesson learned I suppose.

We're going to drop in on the garage tomorrow for another go but OH reckons we must try not to fall out with them as they, and their neighbour, have been reliable and cheap to date... I can follow the logic but don't agree with it!

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

Not fall out with them? They damaged your car! If i kick your car dopor in, can we be friends too?

Tell OH to stop being a wet blanket. Car is damaged, they fix it or face court action. Your porblem is that you have no evidence at all of it being ok before they did the work, so you are fighting a losing battle.

I would rather trust a complete stranger with my life savings rather than trust any garage. They do not like me as I am one step ahead and I happen to know more about cars than them.

• 2 weeks later...